Leverage

Bertholdt kept a low profile as he read the newspaper about the upcoming international council regarding Paradis.

It wasn't looking favorable for them. Even with their newly established alliances with the East.

"Excuse me sir"

Bertholdt looked to see a young boy.

"I was told to give you this." He handed Bertholdt a slip of paper.

"By who?"

"I dunno but he gave me some pocket money"

Before Bertholdt could dig into his pocket to give the boy a bit more money, he was gone.

He opened the slip of paper.

The Wharf, 5:00

***************************************************
"It's been a while Bertholdt" his contact said leaning against the railing.

"Eren"

"Before you ask, yes Reiner is alive, and Annie is still in her crystal shield"

Bertholdt joined Eren against the railing. "I was going to ask about my father"

"You two don't write?"

"I'm risking it enough as it is communicating with you and the Corps, speaking of the Corps how did Hange and Levi find out about my dad"

"Well you father is doing well, worries like h*ll about you. As for your other question. It was my idea to bring it to their attention. If we had your father it would give us some leverage"

Bertholdt fought to keep his cool. "So you used me."

"Well considering my mother died because of you, seemed like a fair trade off..."

Bertholdt didn't have a response.

"What's the attitude in Marley right now? About is Island Devils?"

Bertholdt let out a sigh. "It's not looking well.  Right now the government is a bit preoccupied with the war in the west, but the attitude towards Eldians haven't changed much."

"That's what I thought, listen I know the council decision isn't going to go in our favor. So I have another idea."

Bertholdt turned to face Eren. "How do you know that?"

"It's complicated, but I need you to give me access to the Marley Military Eldian Unit. Paradis needs to strike before Marley does"

"Strike? What exactly are you planning Eren?"

Eren turned to look out at the harbor. He looked up as a seagull flew by.

"Whatever it takes to ensure freedom for those I care about, isn't that why you appeared at Wall Maria that day?"

"So you've spoken to my father then?"

"He's a pretty interesting to chat with, also has confirmed everything you sent in your letter"

"Look Eren I want to take down Marley as much as you do, but please let my father just be. He's been through enough, and soon he's going to have no family left"

Eren kept staring at the sea, contemplating his own time that was running out.

"He's going to be fine. As long as you follow through."

"Do the rest of the Scouts know what you are up to?"

"No..."

"Not even Armin or Mikasa?" Bertholdt asked a bit surprised.

"No and I'd like it to stay that way, just as you want your father to stay safe in Paradis"

"Consider it done, I'll send you the information you'll need"

"Good...nice seeing your Bertholdt" Eren said.

Bertholdt watched him walk away.

"Hey! Wait..." he called after Eren.

Eren turned to face Bertholdt.

"Just promise me...no civilian deaths. Especially those living in Libero, they've done nothing wrong.

Eren just stared at him, "anything else?" He asked cooly.

Bertholdt thought for a moment. This might be his only chance to speak to Eren one-on-one.

"I'm...sorry...about that day in Shiganshina and your mother..."

Eren gave him a curt nod and disappeared into the crowd.

Bertholdt was reading the paper the two nights later when his fear was confirmed.

Marley and Allies Swear to Destroy Paradis

Bertholdt felt a cold chill go down his spine, Eren's voice echoing in his head.

"Whatever it takes to ensure freedom.."

Bertholdt held up his end of the bargain. But he never heard from Eren after that.

Bertholdt wasn't sure where to go from here. He knew he was going to need the Scouts help to topple the Marley government.

In his most recent letter to Hange he laid out when the Military was planning to strike in the West, putting their home defenses on the weak side.

But she was insistent that they try to find a more peaceful solution.

As much as Bertholdt wished to avoid any more lives lost, it just didn't seem like that was possible.

To be continued