Keeping a Promise

The ground wouldn't stop shaking as the streets that had been filled with Garrison members was now flooded with titans.

"Colt..." Bertholdt croaked weakly.

Jean put a hand on Bertholdt's shoulder. "I'm sorry Bertholdt, I know he was your friend"

Bertholdt felt a pang of guilt, Bertholdt had been responsible for so many of Jean's friends, and here he was showing empathy.

A loud crash brought Bertholdt back to his senses, and he took in the reality of the situation. He watched as Falco in Titan form made his way towards Eren and Reiner, looking to attack Reiner.

"Come on there's nothing we can do here" Jean said.

Before they were about to find the leave to help the others the sound of an anti-titan gun caused them to pause. The shot came from the body of the Cart Titan, knocking Zeke to the ground.

The beast Titan didn't get back up.

While Reiner was trying to deal with the numerous new titans, Porco was struggling to take down Eren.

Porco was getting beat down, and it wasn't looking good. When Eren was done with him he tossed him aside like he was nothing.

"Porco!!" Bertholdt launched himself towards the crumpled mess of that had been the Jaw Titan.

He landed beside him, seeing the steam rising from the nape as Porco came out of it.

"Porco...here we need to get you to safety to recover"

Porco just laughed, turning what was left of his face to Bertholdt.

Bertholdt felt sick. The upper left side of Porco's face was gone, blood pouring down soaking his shirt.

"It's over Bertholdt. I don't think there is any coming back from this"

"Porco...I'm...I'm sorry for lying to you...about Marcel"

He laughed again. "Ya know I saw my brothers memories. He did all that to protect me..."

Bertholdt sadly nodded.

They both saw Falco coming their way.

"Let him take my Titan" Bertholdt said.

"Bertholdt smart about this...I think my time is here...I'm tired...just get Falco to come to me...I see now that you both just want a better future...better than what we had"

Bertholdt could feel the sting of the tears in his eyes.

"And Bert...make sure Reiner knows...I was always the better man"

Bertholdt gave him a nodded and launched up into the air.

"Falco!!!!" He jumped on Falco's back, the leapt forward as Falco followed.

Bertholdt landed on a rooftop, and tearfully watched as Falco devoured a smiling Porco.

He felt a wave of sadness and relief as Flaco laid unconscious on the ground back in human form.

He was about jump down to retrieve him when a giant crash. Bertholdt looked to see the Attack Titan down, not getting up.

The Armored was down as well.

"There's now way..." he thought, then panic surged through him as he saw Eren running from his Titan to Zeke who was out of the beast.

"Son of a b*tch" Bertholdt loaded his rifle, aimed, and fired.

He missed. He fired again and again, screaming in frustration as he ran out of ammunition.

"F*ck!" He threw the rifle down.