Part 76: What the duck?

I am so sore from the pool; my little siblings dragged me around for hours and I swear I still have water lodged somewhere in my brain.

_______

March 24, SATURDAY

TWO WEEKS LATER

7: 38 A.M.

Akira P.O.V.

The past weeks have fallen away quickly, and I probably would have lost track of time and its relevance, if not for Ari insistence of having a calendar on the fridge at all times so that I can stare at it every time I need to get into the fridge, years ago. Lunabella's studies have started at a steady pace, and I've already begun teaching her math, honestly, it's a great refresher for me as well, even if it is making it take longer to comb through all the data and information.

I've actually taken to getting a full night's rest every other day which has only made my chronic insomnia and caffeine addiction worse, but it doesn't matter, I'm only slightly sleep deprived, and I didn't dream when I slept anyways.

I stare at my computer, my eyes burning as I resurface from my own head for what seems like the millionth time, I shake myself off the movement only meant for my head rattling through my entire body. I heal my eyes and head as I sip the large thermos of black iced coffee while my stomach protests weakly.

I glance down at Bells who's sleeping on the mattress I added for her down her, despite the fact I've told her she can go back to her room, and she doesn't have to stay down here every time I decide to stay away after patrol to work, she's always there. And I kind of like it the sound of her soft snores keeping me company rather than just the mechanic beeps and clicks of my keyboard keys.

My only problem is Angus who has become bolder recently and insists on sleeping down here with Lunabella and under normal circumstances this would be fine, cute even, but not when it will only sleep on my head or tucked into the arm of my shirt, which is where it is now.

I focus back on the computers, I'm close I can see it. There are only a few more locations for me to find and comb over until Ari and I can start taking them down, one right after the other. I pull back and take a second to let my fingertips heel again as my wrist stops cramping.

I carefully pry Angus's non solidified form off of my wrist and out from under my sleeve to gently place it around my neck, amongst my tangled curls, which I haven't been bothered to do anything with more than rinse them off every few days, something I've learned is that apparently Angus can sleep, like genuinely sleep, and that if it wakes up then Lunabella wakes up and vice versa, although they both seem to be capable of falling asleep individually so the waking up part is probably a danger thing or something, I haven't bothered to ask or test it or even try to figure it out.

I go to take another sip of my coffee but this time my stomach protests so loud I'm pretty sure it echoes off the walls and equipment around me, so I set down my thermos and get up quietly but Angus still stirs slightly, and I can feel it wiggling behind my neck. I lift my hand up as Lunabella begins to shift in her sleep and let Angus wrap a shadowy tendril around my index finger which gets it to settle down.

I walk up the stairs and to the kitchen pulling out three hot pockets and some left over cold soba. I easily devour the soba as the microwave whirs, warming up the food much louder than necessary. I struggle for a few seconds trying to get back into the swing of using chopsticks left handed while also keeping an eye on my food. 

'Ari is going to kill me for eating before them again.'

I shake my head as I place my empty bowl and chopsticks in the sink and stop the microwave just before it beeps, knowing that it will wake up both Angus and Lunabella, the latter of which will panic when only seeing that she's surrounded by sterile white and large beepy machines, which in turn will cause Angus to lash out.