2.Daydreaming

*Blazepaw's PoV*
(Chapters swap POV between Fogpaw Blazepaw)

-
Blazepaw trotted across a fallen log, his nimble paws dodging rotten bark and sharp splinters of wood.He swivelled on his hind legs once he reached the end of the tree, then started back the other way.He enjoyed playing this game when he was bored.He liked to pretend the forest floor was lava, sometimes.The hot magma bubbled around his paws, and occasionally some would spurt up and land in front of him.

Blazepaw was a daydreamer.He loved to get lost in the fantasy world called his mind.His mind often drifted into the clouds when he was doing something important, and he wasn't very good at focusing.

Most cats got annoyed, but he didn't really care.

He was about to turn and go again, when a sour voice called out sneeringly,
"How maby times are you going to do that? It looks ridiculous."

Knowing who it was, Blazepaw frowned.He ignored the voice, twirling around and going back across the log.This time, he bounced in the air a few times, pretending the branch had gaping holes that he couldn't walk over.If his paw went in the holes, well- he'd fall and die.

"Blaze, come on.Don't ignore me."Blazepaw gritted his teeth.He leapt off the branch and glared defiantly at his father.Well, his father's ghost.

His dad had died in a battle, his throat slit by a HollyClan apprentice.Blazepaw was oddly relieved.He'd never been close with his dad, and he was kind of mean.But Raggedheart hadn't truly left Blazepaw's life.He wasn't aloud in StarClan, so he came back to haunt Blazepaw.

"If you want to be leader one day, and rules both Clans, then you have to start training and doing less daydreaming."Raggedheart growled.

"I don't want to be leader."Blazepaw sighed, staring at his paws.His paws looked like little clouds....He wondered what it would be like to live in the clouds-

"Blazepaw! Pay attention!"Raggedheart snapped, knowing look on his face.His whiskers twitched bitterly, and he cast a dark glare at his son. "I will teach you how to be strong and brave, but you need to focus, alright?"

"No! I already told you, father.I don't want to be leader, and I won't train with you! Breezewing is a good mentor to me."Blazepaw muttered, not looking his dad in the eyes.

"Son, look at me."Raggedheart fumed, his chest heaving.He looked like he might lunge any second now.Blazepaw reluctantly looked up, locking amber eyes with his dad. "You.Will.Train.You hear me?"

But before he could say anything back, Lemonpaw and Dewspark pushed their way into the clearing.They both had matching blank faces and their tails were ridged.

Raggedheart vanished, and Blazepaw let out a sigh of relief.He turned to the two she-cats.

"Robinstar wants to speak with you."Dewspark spoke stiffly.Her voice was curt, and her facial expression left no room for argument.Lemonpaw looked bored, casting Blazepaw an unimpressed look.

"Sure, okay."Blazepaw dipped his head to the deputy, before slinking off toward camp.He assumed Robinstar would be in his den, but before he reached camp, he caught a whiff of the leader's scent.It seemed he was by the flower meadow.He veered toward the meadow, and immediately spotted the shape of a cat lying in the flowers.

He waded through tulips and buttercups, pausing next to Robinstar. "What's up? Dewspark said you needed to talk to me?"

The leader let out a hopeless sigh. "Why are you so happy and carefree?"was all he said, voice quiet.It seemed like CardinalClan had quite a few depressed-seeming cats.Blazepaw often wondered why he didn't feel at all depressed.He was quite optimistic, actually.

"Ummm, I'm not sure how to answer that."Blazepaw spoke honestly, sitting down and breathing in the sweet scent of violets.Cardinals flew overhead, letting out their shrill call.They swooped down just above Blazepaw's head, then snapped up into the air again.They knew they had a pact with CardinalClan.They wouldn't touch the beautiful birds.

"I just feel so...lonely all the time,"Robinstar looked confused. "No one ever hangs out with you willingly, so why are you the happiest cat in the Clan?"the russet cat stood up, facing Blazepaw with dull green eyes.His long whiskers were limp, nearly touching the ground.

"Well, I- cats hang out with me all the time!"Blazepaw felt his fur warm up.It wasn't like he was hated! People liked him...right?

"Uh-huh.And birds fly."Robinstar rolled his eyes.They both stared at each other for a moment.Blazepaw frowned.

"But birds do fly."

"Oh, yes.I knew that, my mouth just says the wrong things sometimes."Robinstar sighed. "But you know what I mean.I just want to be happy...Before I die, y'know?"

"I do.Kind of.I'm sure you will find someone who will make you happy, don't worry about it."Blazepaw reassured him.

"Okay.I suppose you might be right.Let's get back to camp, Blazepaw."Robinstar led the way.

***
That night, Blazepaw lay in the apprentice den, wide awake.He was usually the last one to fall asleep.Mostly because at night his mind raced.All the events of the day swarmed inside his small brain.He couldn't turn it off.

Arcticpaw and Salmonpaw were asleep in one corner, while Lemonpaw and Skypaw slept a few nest away from the.At the far end of the den was Blazepaw, feeling a little bit alone for the first time in his life.

It had never really bothered Blazepaw before that no one wanted to sleep next to him.But it was a strangely cold night and the chilling breeze seeped into his bones, making him shiver.

He thought about forcing his way between Skypaw and Lemonpaw, but he knew they would get annoyed.Plus, they were sleeping.

So what did Blazepaw do?

He daydreamed.At night. Nightdreamed? But that would technically be just dreaming.

He pretended he was walking on the sun, all toasty warm and cozy.Most cats said the sun was so hot, you would burn to a crisp before you even came within a hundred paw steps of it, but he didn't think so.Blazepaw liked to imagine he was invisible to heat.He liked to walked on the sun and smirk down at the Clans.

Every-cat thought so little of him, but he would show them.Someday he'd do something big, and show them all! Even Raggedheart.

Now Blazepaw felt his eyes growing heavy.His insides felt warm and fuzzy, and he was content.He squeezed his eyes closed tight, and his sides rose and fell rhythmically.Then he let himself go limp, and his crazy mind died down to a comfortable silence.