PROLOGUE ₁.₂

tw // mentions of abuse

cw // mild smut

☆♬○♩●♪✧♩  ♩✧♪●♩○♬☆

JULY 9TH 1993

Ever since turning eighteen in September of the previous year, Emma had picked up the habit of going to pubs by herself on the weekends. Weirdly, it gave her the peace she longed for during the week. It also kept her busy enough that she didn't have to think about how it felt like everything was crumbling down at an agonizingly slow pace while nothing seemed to happen and her monotonous routine never ran its course. She didn't even feel like asking Harry if he fancied joining her: this was her thing, and her thing only, at least for the time being.

Emma liked to just sit and people-watch: she'd imagine stories for everyone she could get her eyes on, getting dizzier and dizzier by the minute. After a while, she'd ask for a glass of water and sober up enough to be able to drive home, that is if James hadn't taken the car.

James was Emma's older sister. She was nine years older than her, and had been her legal guardian since she was fifteen years old. Before that, Emma had been living with her maternal grandparents since the age of nine. Her parents had been gone for quite some time, but those events were far behind her and she tried to forget they were even a part of her life story.

As far as her relationship with her sister, Emma didn't think she had any right to complain. Granted, they hadn't had a lot of time to bond after their parents died because as soon as she turned of age, James moved out. At the time, Emma had been way too young but she did vaguely remember wanting very badly, desperately even, for her sister to take her under her wing. Unfortunately, James was in too much of a hurry to escape the life they had to even consider such a thing. Not that their grandparents would've allowed that anyway.

Living with her sister definitely wasn't what Emma had envisioned at a young age. They did spend time together during meals and stuff like that, and the occasional cheeky little movie date either at the cinema or in their living room. But most evenings either James was too busy shagging someone God knows where, or shagging someone in the house and not wanting to be bothered (obviously).

Emma tried really hard not to have negative feelings towards her sister's habits. She understood that this was just who she'd grown up to be and in fairness, James was a grown woman and had every right to do whatever she damn well pleased with her life and could shag everyone under the sun if she wanted to. In fact, Emma felt incredibly guilty every time discomfort crept up on her when she heard her moan and plead for more while she tried to sleep.

It just made her feel disconected from her somtimes. Most mornings, James would wake up with a raging hangover but still fumbling her way through her usual morning routine before going to work: she worked for a local magazine called Out And About Manchester! It was rather cool in Emma's humble opinion, because she was always the first to get a copy before it came out.