twenty five

"May I eat something before we get there?" Manik smiled sheepishly while looking at anywhere but at her. As his grumbling stomach took his side, Nandini exhaled in defeat- seemed like "explanation" was saved for later.

Manik was currently busy in glaring at the pepperoni pizza, he could drill holes in the pizza with his eyes by this point. But well then again, the guy was trying to take his time not because the pizza was so delicious that he wanted to devour it slowly instead if anything the pizza was more fascinating when having to explain Nandini what was the matter with him. As to why he decided to show up at her home out of blue that too at late night. So yeah, he was dragging time, to enjoying the quietness while he could.

But that couldn't last forever.

"Sir it would be nice if you could stop undressing the pizza with your eyes and eat it before it gets cold." Nandini spoke mockingly sweetly while her lips stretched to fake a full smile. Manik gulped before nodding and took a small bite of the pizza.

Nandini was tapping her one foot on the floor impatiently. She wasn't having it. When Manik was uttering and had asked if he could eat something first. She knew he was dodging her questions. A futile attempt which she saw right through him. But seeing how he showed up all panting and his anxious expressions. Nandini decided to cut him some slacks.

And that's how the dude ended up ordering a pepperoni pizza because he had absolutely no interest in swallowing eggplants down his throat. He couldn't never in a million years, being the picky eater that he is. So he had declined Nandini's offer of leftover eggplant dish so yeah the pizza. But now seeing Manik eating like a bird was irking her.

"Okay, now tell me what is this?" Nandini asked as she sat on the sofa next to Manik. Being done with him.

"HUH? OH, you mean this? It's a pizza come on Miss Murty what kind of stupid question is that." Manik retorted while pointing to the pizza sitting on the table in front of him.

"Arghhh, what- I know that's a freaking pizza. I am asking WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE? AT MY HOME. AT FREAKING PAST 12 NOW."  Nandini retorted a bit frustrated. She could see that Manik was deliberately trying to waste as much time as he could just so he couldn't have to talk about whatever it was that had made him so anxious. Something was surely up, Nandini make out that much.

"I fought with my father." Manik claimed with a sigh, finally giving in to Nandini's interrogation.

"What? Ermmm- I am sorry." Nandini went silent after that. Manik had a quarrel with his father? She felt bad for pestering Manik with his questions now.

Nandini looked at Manik sympathetically. She knew that Manik's relationship with his mother was already strained and now-a-days things weren't so well with his father either. Nandini remember Manik telling her about his father fixing a girl for him to marry. Was this about it? She wonder.

"Is it about your marriage?" Nandini whispered quietly as she sat down next to Manik who was looking at her with his eyes gleaming with a plea.

"It is." Manik agreed, comfirming Nandini's doubt and her heart clenched at seeing him so helpless and vulnerable.

"He arranged a freaking dinner with that girl's family without telling me. And I lashed out because he didn't even bothered to ask if. Hell! I have already told him I don't want to marry that girl, whoever she is. But he just isn't ready to listening to me. He is forcing his choice on me and I can't just let him do that. " Manik told Nandini with anger once again growing in his voice just at the thought of it. It was evident how pissed he was.

" So what did you do, Manik? " Nandini asked him because knowing Manik's temper she knew how unpredictable he could be when hurt  or annoyed. And this time Manik was hurt. He felt betrayed. If his father couldn't understand him then who would?