chapter 7

ALL YOUR LIFE, YOU'VE HAD A certain sense of being able to detect pain. Physical or mental pain, it didn't matter, you were able to detect both.

You've always had that sort of power but didn't know how to make use of it or how it worked. It was when your family was brutally killed by a demon that you progressively learned how to apply it correctly.

In the meantime, you learned something. Everyone was in a constant state of pain, there was no such thing as happiness. Jubilation was just an illusion when life was giving you a pause from suffering. Even when someone was feeling what they described as 'joy', there was always that affliction right behind it. It wouldn't take long until it consumed the happiness and regained control of the person.

When walking past someone or having a person near you, you can detect them based on their pain. Everyone has suffered in their life. Some people had it worse than others, but everyone has experienced pain in some way or another.

When making physical contact with a person, you have the gift, or curse, of being able to envision what was their most intense feeling of agony throughout their whole life. At first, it wasn't something pleasing, but you learned to ignore it. You never treated someone differently after seeing that vision, nor talking to them about it.

Detecting demons was not any different. If so, it was even easier. Demons aren't human, but they used to be. They still carry their past life with them and all of their suffering. Even if they don't remember it, it is still part of them. Since they are different beings, they possess a different pain aura that would tell you whether they were demons or not.

That's how you could detect them easily.

However, you didn't even sense Douma until seconds before he spoke to you. When you fought demons, that was the moment you could feel their woe even more. But Douma was empty. No emotions, nothing. Yet, he seemed to feel a whole bunch of them. His facial expressions, his tone of voice, everything had expressed the presence of emotions. Or so you thought.

When he carried you on his shoulder, you had the opportunity to see his most pained moment, but nothing appeared. You had no vision.

At first, you thought you started to lose your senses, but you kept detecting pain from people in the cult. So, how come you couldn't feel anything from him?

You then came to the following conclusion; Douma has no emotions, he never felt anything in his entire life.

He was a true demon.

To be continued...

——————————V-O-T-E

——————————
V-O-T-E

DEMON SLAYER FUN FACT: Akaza, Upper Moon 3, is the only Kizuki that fights barehanded.

🍳