History 4: The Next Morning

Zale's POV

"Let me sleep, mean mate."

I roll my eyes at that. "You're the one who wanted so many rounds."

"And I don't regret it, now let me sleep," Liam mumbles, pushing me away. "You shouldn't be able to walk anyway."

"I'm a werewolf, darling, remember? I heal faster than normal."

"So I have to try harder then?"

"I'm still sore, love, just not as much as a human would be. I'm going to wander and explore some more."

"L'right," he mumbles.

I roll my eyes again and pull on my boxers and my pyjama pants. I give my mate a quick kiss and leave the bedroom door open, walking down the steps. The living room shows no signs of having been a murder scene the night before. No blood and no body. I can smell the faint scent of blood in the air, but it's not something a human would pick up on.

The scent seems to lead somewhere, making me frown. I follow the scent towards the basement door, opening it and looking down the stairs. The faint scent of blood goes down there, mixing with the usual stale air scent basements have. Curious, I turn the lights on and make my way down.

Shadows reach for me, trying to pull me back. My brows furrow at this. Why wouldn't they want me down here? Liam never said I couldn't go anywhere in the house, just to be careful since he has a few security measures and such in place. Is there one down here?

I look around the dimly lit room cautiously. Nothing seems out of place yet I still get a chill down my spine. My mate's magic feels stronger down here, hanging heavy in the air. Slowly, I step towards a place where it seems to be concentrated, a closet door.

Before I even reach it, the door springs open and a pale woman lunges out. Her fingers are curled into claws, mouth open in a snarl. My jaw drops, recognizing her as the woman from last night. I dodge her attack only to stumble into something behind me that wasn't there before. My eyes look up to find the dull eyes of an obviously dead man. He reaches for me, not slow at all like I expected.

A scared yelp passes my lips as I see even more reanimated bodies coming out from hiding places around the room. They all reach for me, snarling and howling. Their footsteps race after me as I rush back up the steps, slamming the door. I don't stop to see if they still follow me as I run upstairs.

I can see the first one coming up the steps as I slam the bedroom door, locking it behind me.

Liam's head raises groggily as he blinks, looking at me curiously. "Back already?"

A startled yelp passes my lips as something slams into the door. I hurry towards my mate, deciding he's a better shield than the door.

"Call off your creepy-ass bodies," I say hurriedly as the door is kicked open.

My mate's eyes open fully now as he realizes what's happening. He sits up and pulls me close as the first bodies inside reach for me.

"Enough, my darlings," he says, voice hard and commanding. The undead people whisper softly, glancing from me to him. Liam snarls at them when one hesitantly steps forward. "You don't get to eat him. He's not going to tell anyone about you and he's not going to hurt me. He's your second master, got it? No eating my mate. Now get back downstairs."

A few of the bodies mumble unsurely. One of them, a young man not much younger than Liam steps forward.

"Master?"

My eyes widen slightly, hearing the voice. It sounds just like it normally would, not a gurgle or anything. Liam chuckles softly, his arms tightening around me.

"Impressive, aren't they," he says before turning to the boy. "What is it, Cole?"

"Will he be staying?" the dead boy asks.

"Yes. My darling wolf will be staying. You'll have to learn his voice and his footsteps. He'll be the only other person in the house so you can listen and learn easily."

The boy nods and follows the others out of the room. A breath I didn't know I was holding passes my lips softly.

"I seem to have forgotten to warn you about them," Liam muses.

"You think?" I mumble. "Why do you have a collection of reanimated bodies? I didn't know that was possible."

Liam chuckles again, his eyes flaring red. "Well, darling, there's not much that isn't possible with magic. The thing is, half of it is dark and you know what a big no-no dark magic is."

I give him a deadpan look. "All you know is dark magic."

"How cruel of you," he replies as if greatly hurt. "I know quite a bit of healing, and that's light."

"You have reanimated dead bodies in the basement, that's not a light thing."

"It's not. It's my thing. They attack anyone they don't know. They also listen to sounds on the floors above them to get an idea of who's inside the house. They know me by my voice and pattern of my footsteps and they'll be learning yours. They'll listen to you now, darling. We are yours."

I frown softly at that. "You're powerful, Liam, you're incredibly powerful. Why do you always sound like you'll follow me? I'm just a werewolf. I'm no one important to anyone but you."

"Exactly, doll," he replies. "You are important to me. I want you to be happy, my beautiful mate. I have nothing to do but please you. So do whatever you want, darling, and I'll be right behind you. You're incredibly smart, Zale, I can see that in your mind. You just need help and those plans of yours are within reach. Just say the words, my love, and I will give you everything."

A smile grows on my lips, one I know must be crazed if the one appearing on my lover's lips is anything to judge by.

"Let's do mad things together," he whispers, hands pulling me close. "You want revenge so lets get it."

My smile widens. "Let's do it."