First Glance

I slowly open my eyes, the sunlight blinding me momentarily. I turn my head to see Mildred focused on the road. Her eyes dart to me and she smiles before putting them back on the road. I sit up straighter and stretch a bit, "we're almost there" she promises. Little did I know, she wasn't kidding in the slightest.

We turn down a road and the trees open to a view of a neighborhood. I lean towards the window as I gaze out at all the houses. This looks like some sort of vacation getaway more than a suburban area. Mildred pulls into a driveway and I glance at her to make sure this is the right one. She takes off her seatbelt and I know it's real.

I rapidly remove my seatbelt and hop out the car

I rapidly remove my seatbelt and hop out the car. Mildred gets out and shakes her head at my excitement. I run around the car and fling myself at her, wrapping her in my arms. We stumble back and into the car making it shake a little. I hear a gasp leave her lips followed by a chuckle as she wraps her arms around me.

"Thank you" I say, the sound muffled by her chest. "You don't have to thank me, sweetheart. It's the least I could do" she replies as she rubs my back. Sweetheart? She's never called me that before. I smile softly as I pull away, reluctantly returning my hands to my sides. "Let's get the things out the car" she suggests and I nod.

We grab our bags, entering the house after and setting our things down. "Can I look around before taking up my bags?" I ask, "of course" she agrees. "Come with me" I say questioningly and she nods with a soft smile. We walk around the interior, it being a simple 3-bedroom 2-bath layout.

 We get out to the backyard and my jaw drops at the view

We get out to the backyard and my jaw drops at the view. "Oh my gosh the pool is huge!" I squeal, grabbing her arm in both my hands and shaking it lightly. Once my mind catches up I quickly glance at her to see her smiling down at me. "I'm glad you like it" she utters and I nod as I slowly let go of her.

I walk around, taking a squat and running my hand in the water. "You can get in if you'd like" Mildred suggests, "oh- I umm don't have a bathing suit" I admit shyly. "I can buy you one or you could try one of mine... though I don't think it'd fit you" she proposes. I glance at her quickly and she looks worried.

"I didn't mean it that way—umm—I think you're perfect I just meant-" "you think I'm perfect?" I smirk. She immediately blushes and shakes her head. "Don't do that" she mumbles, "sorry... force of habit" I grimace. "I guess I could just go in my underwear" I shrug, looking to see her blushing even more. Interesting.

"How about we just wait until tomorrow, when I can buy you one? We've been on the road a long time anyway" she voices, "I suppose you're right. The car's not exactly the most comfortable place to sleep" I chuckle as I stretch my limbs. She nods once and walks towards the house, I follow behind her mirroring her actions of grabbing bags.

We both head upstairs and she points me to the room that's mine. Showing me where the bathroom is and then heading to her own room. I watch the door as she closes it behind her, sighing to myself. I enter my own room and close the door before flopping down on the bed. I roll over as it's a lot more comfortable than I imagined.

I think I'm really going to like it here, if this lasts that is. I grab a few things and decide to hit the shower. I can't find any towels so i reluctantly go over to Mildred's door. Not wanting to bother her but needing to know where everything is. "Mildred" I call out as I knock on the door but I don't get a response.

"Mildred" I call a bit louder as I crack the door open. "What?" she asks sounding frantic, "I- I just need to know where the towels are" I mutter, forcing myself to make my voice loud enough for her to hear. She tells me where they are in her room and I hear a door shut quickly before she allows me in.

I quickly grab what I need and hastily exit her room, feeling anxious. I take a fast shower and then head straight for my room again. Getting dressed and then laying down under the covers. Maybe she's just grumpy from the ride. I decide to go with that, instead of blaming myself. I lay my head down on the pillow and yawn as I close my eyes.