I Regret Every Time I've Left

Summary

More interviews! (Lots of dialogue)

(Content Warning! Mentions of death and implied suicide. (They are talking about Third Life, so it kinda has to be included))

Sunday, February 12

The only two Hermits who were doing interviews were Scar and Mumbo. Because the Third Life interview was at 1400, theirs was just an hour before. But, they were late and arrived at 1330.

Pearl didn't know what they looked like but, when a tall man with red specs of dust in his hair and clothes accompanied by another man with multiple band-aids and scars, she knew they were the ones.

They walked up to her desk and she stood, "Hello, I am Detective Pearl Moon. Down there is my partner, Tilly. You two are Mumbo and Scar, correct?" They both nodded. "Great. Both of you, please take a seat. I'll ask some questions so that you can go talk to Grian. Good?"

"Sounds good," the man Pearl guessed as Mumbo nodded.

"Alright. To Mumbo: your Admin says you met Grian before you asked him to join. When was that?"

Mumbo thought for a moment, "It was a year before, 2018. He found me in the Hub planning out a build and gave me a few tips."

"To both of you: was anything ever off about him? More than normal."

"I wouldn't say so, normal chaotic level."

"Started a civil war in his first season," Scar added. "It was quite fun."

Mumbo turned to Scar, "You weren't even in it!"

"Exactly."

Pearl hesitantly wrote a note about war, "Okay...Did he ever show signs of leaving beforehand?"

"No," Mumbo shook his head. "He was very happy the last time I saw him."

Scar nervously tapped his arm, "Third Life had a lot of blood. We, uh. Grian and I were paired the entire season, he won and I came second. And, um."

"You don't need to continue if you don't want to," Pearl gave a careful smile. "The gist is that maybe what happened with your death was a little too much?" Scar nodded slowly. "One final question. When was the last time either of you had contact with him?"

"Right before he left."

"The last session."

"Thank you for answering my questions. With you talking to Grian, you can either do it together or separate. Or, you can just not do it. The conversation is not for me or the station, but for you two."

Scar and Mumbo looked at each other and conversed quietly before nodding.

Scar turned back to Pearl, "I'm already doing the Third Life thing, so I think I'm going to pass."

"And I'll be doing it," Mumbo gives a small nod.

"Sounds good!" Pearl says. "Mumbo, I'll sit you down in the room then I'll go get Grian. Tilly will be in the room with you. Scar, I need you to stay with me so we'll be in the observation room. Only watching, not listening. You will be able to see us through the window. Good?"

The two men nod and say 'yes'. With Tilly trotting in front, they all get up and walk to the room. In the same fashion as the day before, Mumbo and Tilly go into the room. Pearl lets Scar into the observation room before going to grab Grian.

"They came?" Grian looked up with a hopeful expression as Pearl unlocked the cell.

"Your friends? Yes." Pearl walks in and motions for Grian to stand up, which he does. "More will be here in less than an hour."