Chapter 15

Over the next few weeks, James and the Hawks began making a name for themselves as Metropolis's new guardian angels, a recurring joke being that both Katar and Shayera had wings like angels. The media had dubbed them Hawkman and Hawkgirl, though Green Lantern was still considered the city's main hero, since he had shown up before them.

Katar and Shayera had also both worked hard to establish human identities as Carter and Cheryl Hall. Carter had decided to continue on as law enforcer, so he'd joined the Metropolis PD while Cheryl had chosen to join James as a reporter at the Daily Planet, since it provided her with a cover for when she needed to change into Hawkgirl.

Carter and Cheryl had found a nice apartment in Metropolis for them to live in and thanks to the DEO providing them with all the documentation they'd need to make it look like they'd lived on Earth their whole lives.

The whole city loved its new team of super powered protectors and James could've sworn he'd started to hear people call Superman old news, since he was only one hero and now Metropolis, which was probably one of the largest targets for alien attacks, had three protectors.

James had also met Winn's new girlfriend, who turned out to be none other than the new commissioner of Metropolis PD, Barbara Gordon. Someone that James knew was a former associate of Batman, which meant that he was thinking about bringing her into the fold, if only so Winn wouldn't have to keep putting his relationship at risk by keeping this secret. Besides, who knows, once Barbara got back on her feet and he had every confidence that once she would, maybe she could join them out in the trenches. But anyways, James had to admit that Barbara was definitely good for Winn, since not only was she a badass cop, but she was also a genius and probably could've gone into the tech field if she hadn't decided to become a cop.

However, what they didn't realize was that since Carter and Cheryl were dubbed Hawkman and Hawkgirl, they weren't the first ones to use those monikers and that they'd drawn the attention of an old enemy of the original Hawkman and Hawkgirl, even though they'd died years ago.

"Commissioner Gordon." Carter said to Barbara as she wheeled up to the most recent crime scene at the Metropolis harbor, where they were investigating a recent homicide where all the victims were killed by some kind of dagger.

"Detective Hall. What can you tell me about this?" Barbara asked, since she knew that Carter was a friend of her boyfriend.

"Not much. Whoever did this was a professional, since they wiped all security footage of what happened last night. We're still trying to pull forensics." Carter said.

"Great. Just what we need. Another psychopath in this city. As if we don't have enough of those as it is." Barbara said.

"Hey, it can't be worse than Gotham." Carter said, since he'd heard about that.

"Trust me Hall, nowhere is worse than Gotham. Why do you think the bat exists?" Barbara agreed.

"True. Let's hope that this is a guy that we can catch without needing to get our city's own guardian angels involved." Carter said.

"Detective Hall, Commissioner Gordon, we found something." one of the CSIs said.

"What do you have?" Carter asked as he walked and Barbara wheeled herself over to the CSI.

"We found this metal fragment on the ground near one of the bodies. We think it broke off from the knife our killer used on these people." The CSI said, holding up a small bronze metal fragment.

"Do we have any idea what kind of metal that is yet?" Barbara asked.

"We still need to take it back to the lab for testing." the CSI said.

"Do it. The sooner we know what kind of metal that is, the better, since then we'll have some kind of idea of what to look for." Carter said, though he was thinking of having Winn hack into the harbor's surveillance system to see if he could recover the missing surveillance footage to see if they could get an id on who the killer was. Though he couldn't help but feel like there was someone watching him, but he shook that off as nerves as resumed his work.