Blood In The Water

ADELAIDE

"Get up." Noah commands me as I groan from the ground. My teenage body aching all over as I push myself off the mat angrily. "Your size doesn't matter, kid. Try again." He waives at me to come at him and I throw my arm out to make my elbow pop before raising my fists to protect my face.

"I stopped coming here years ago." I say in confusion, but still charge at him, swinging my fist at his body when he blocks it and goes to punch my face; I tighten my left arm to take the hit.

"Was that a good decision?" Noah asks before swinging a leg behind mine and making me fall on my ass. He climbs over me, but then his face is someone else's as I struggle to break free from his hold, I am consumed by the terror.

"Vance!" I cry out, but it seems like I can't scream loud enough as I punch and kick. I see Christopher's face, and a moment later, it shifts into Elijah's. "Vance!"

VANCE

I feel Adelaide's grip on my arm tighten before I hear her quiet sobs, and my body jerks awake. Her eyes move behind her eyelids frantically, making me sigh painfully before pulling her onto my chest and rocking her softly. If she wakes up abruptly next to a man she usually doesn't sleep next to, she'll be even more panicked.

"It's just a dream, little one." I whisper into her hair tiredly and glance back at her nightstand clock. Five thirty two a.m. "Come on, Sweetness. Come to me in the dark."

"Vance," She moans as tears stream down her face and I hold her tightly. "Help...me."

"I'm right here." I breathe near her ear as her body jerks fearfully. "Come to me, little—" My voice breaks, taking me by surprise, more so when I reach for my face and I realize there are tears forming up in my eyes. Her body in my arms relaxes as she digs her face deeper into my chest with a soft sigh. "Christ, what is wrong with me?" Her hand holds on to my shirt for dear life as I lay us down again.

Looking down at her, even under the dim moonlight coming through the window, she is pure. She is perfect for me. Every little piece of her is tailored specifically for me, every breath, every stroke, every damn infuriating eye roll. From the way she laughs, to the way she cries, there is no battlefield I wouldn't cross to see so much as a scowl.

And yet, I find myself drawing a line between wanting her and loving her.

I can't allow myself to fall for her. I can't allow myself to be starved of her, either. I need her to silence the ringing in my head. I need her like high-tides need the moon.

Just as the tides, I am to remain under her spell and be drawn by her pull, but never really have her. Never actually feel what it is like to make a home in her beating heart.

If I get too close, she falls through the rabbit hole.

If I stay away, I will become the void that swallows me whole.

Glancing at the clock that marks six, I smile down at my little sinner who sleeps soundly on my chest. "I'm allowed to speak freely now." I whisper, brushing off some of her hair from her face.

"What?" She groans while holding me tighter.

"I want to do horrible things to you." I admit, lowering myself to nuzzle her neck softly. "I want to bury myself so deep inside you, we both forget our names." I graze my teeth against her skin as she holds my head in place, her spare hand slipping under my shirt.

"Vance?" She moans hoarsely as my lips leave gentle kisses up her jaw.

"Yes, Sweetness?" I purr against her skin and her body arches to get closer to me.