Lake Crescent

VANCE

When we reach the house, it is empty. Her parents are gone, Matt and Julianna had texted that they were going to meet a friend in the city, and Morgan already retreated to her cottage near the house.

Adelaide yawns as she comes down from her heels and kicks them by the door with a groan.

"I still have to send an email, but you can go to bed." She says while stretching her arms over her head and I shake my head.

"We're not doing this tonight." I say and take her hand, pulling her towards my room.

"Vance," She says but doesn't pull on my hand, and when we're in front of my door, she only watches me curiously. "What has gotten into you?"

"You paraded me all night like I'm your little lap dog," I say and she frowns apologetically. "No need for pity, little one. You are mine." She takes her hand from me stares defiantly for a moment before starting to unbutton her blouse and my eyes widen.

She turns to open my door while speaking. "Don't be surprised now, let's go—" I push her against it feel her ass on me, Adelaide moans as I go down to kiss her shoulder and neck. She reaches back to hold my neck and my senses are overwhelmed with unfiltered her.

I turn her around and pull her face into a kiss that has her arms falling over my shoulders, picking her up to have her around my waist and opening the door while her pain pools into me.

"So you didn't like Lorie?" She teases with a smile before kissing me again and I groan while putting her down on my bed. She laughs but I take her cheeks in my hand firmly and shake my head. She's serious now, her eyes trained on mine as I undo her pants.

"When will you learn?" I sigh, dipping down to peck her lips. "That you're mine." She smiles and I let her go, hovering over her like I imagined so many times before.

"When you learn that in reality, you've always been mine." She says and I chuckle before pulling her shirt open and undoing her bra. I take her nipple between my teeth and she moans.

A gunshot sound comes from downstairs and we get up abruptly, her face crashing into my chest with a groan.

"Can you do me a favor, little one?" I whisper down in her chair and she nods. "Go lock yourself in the bathroom."

"You're not going down there." She says as she gets up quickly and fixes her shirt but her nipples still poke through the fabric.

"It's literally my job!" I whisper to her in frustration and she shakes her head before pointing at the window. "No, you'll break something."

"You don't know how many of them there are." She says while pulling my arm but I hold her arms in place, then cupping her face gently.

"Would you just fucking trust me?" Her watery eyes stay on me as she shakes.

"Baby!" I hear Elijah cry in the distance and Adelaide's face morphs into horror.

"No." I growl at her but she tries to run to the door so I grab her waist and throw her over my shoulder as she fights me to let her talk to him. "He's armed, you're not going down there."

"I'll let you sleep in my room on Wednesdays if you let me talk him down." She cries and I put her down with a frown. "You'll kill him."

"If I have to." I nod but she holds my arms pleadingly. "He will hurt you. You know I won't allow that."

"I know you won't let him hurt me, I know! But please trust me, it's not me I'm worried about!" She cups my face fearfully and I reach for my gun at my waist before pulling her hand from my face and forcing her to take it.