Sacred Ties

*THIS CHAPTER INCLUDES SEXUAL ABUSE IMAGERY, READER DISCRETION IS ADVISED*

ADELAIDE

"I can't say I appreciate your scratches, but we will work on that." Callahan says as he fixes his shirt in front of the mirror to my left, but all I can do is stare down at my knees with disgusted tears rolling down my face. "Husband and wife, everything is right as it should be."

"I..." My voice is hoarse from the screaming, but Callahan turns back to me with a soft look. "I killed the last man who did this to me." He scrunches up his nose in disgust and moves to sit at my feet.

"I don't care to hear about your previous fucks." He says with a careless shake of his head, making me nod as I stare up at the chains on my wrist. "My staff is under specific orders to sedate you if you become a threat to them, so be a good girl and this manor is yours." I glare at him through the tears.

"I will revel in the sight of your organs exposed." I say to him bitterly, making his eyes widen with awkwardness before standing to walk away. I wait for the door to shut and his footsteps echo away before wincing at the skin on my wrists and hands being pulled from the chains.

Pushing the thought of Callahan's hands on me, I muffle my scream as I pull my hand through the chain painfully. My thumb snaps and I have to bite down a cry when the door opens. A Hispanic woman stares at me with wide eyes as I sigh through the pain.

"I can pay you triple the amount he's paying you..." I beg of her as she walks to me hesitantly. Her black hair is pulled back into a ponytail and her alarmed brown eyes scan the blood on my wrists and thighs. "Please help me—"

"I'm not here for the money." She says nervously while I breathe heavily. "He promises to release my son from prison." I've never tried to get anyone out of prison, but grandad did it for Vance, so there's a way for me too.

"I can get him out, I have money." I say as she frowns doubtfully. "Please."

"I take you out, he kills my son, mija." The woman says  with a subtle shake of her head. "I get you cleaned up, there are men outside the room with guns." I cry and nod. She's just worried for her son's life, and I can't fault her for that. "No fight please."

"How many men outside the door?" I ask, looking up at her through the curtains of my hair as she hesitates before ultimately staying silent. "Do you believe in the devil?" I whisper to her as she brings her hand up to her cross necklace fearfully. "He'll come storming the halls for me, and how many men will he devour before he decides to spare you and your son?" I throw my head back to lean against the headboard with false indifference. Her eyes flicker between me and the door nervously.

"Three." She whispers before hurrying to unlock the chains on my wrists with a small key, and I groan once my arms fall to my sides. "Come on, Mija, we need to get you clean."

"So he can get me filthy again?" I ask her as she throws my heavy arms over her shoulders. Fresh tears run down my face as she frowns up at me and pushes my tangled hair back.

"So you can run." The woman whispers to me and pulls me up to stand as I hold on to her small shoulders gratefully. She helps me walk to the bathtub, undresses me and holds my hands as I sit down before beginning to flow warm water. She sits on the floor next to me and washes my hair as I sob quietly. "How will you get my boy out?" She asks me as I scrub my skin roughly.

"Can you leave the manor?" I ask in return as I glance back at her, and she nods quickly. "Then I need you to contact my family, they will know what to do." She stares back at me fearfully so I sigh. "Do you know where we are?"

"Very cold place." She says while shaking her head.

"Like a hotel?" I ask quietly when the room door opens and she rushes to help me wash with her head down.