Chaos Magic

ADELAIDE

Vance packs our bags in the back of my car when Lorie pulls up to the house in a blue Camaro and smiles out to us as my bodyguard groans.

"Be nice." I whisper to him before moving to greet Lorie. "We could have picked you up." I say to her when she climbs out of her car.

"It's not on the way." Lorie shakes her head as she walks around to the trunk. "Is that what you're wearing for the dinner tonight?" I look down at me white sweater and baggy blue jeans in confusion. The truth is that Vance and I got bit rowdy this morning and brought out the knife again, so now I have an A to accompany the V and several love bites across my chest and arms.

"She looks cozy." Vance says with a wicked grin that makes me glare back at him. He's wearing his usual dark suit, which complements Lorie nicely since she's wearing a pair of gray pants and a black blouse. One of her heels gets stuck in the gravel and I mutter a curse before rushing to help her with the bags. "I got it." Vance says behind me but I take one of her bags and start making my way my car, frowning down at the bag when I hear chains rattling.

"You going werewolf hunting tonight?" I ask curiously but when I turn around to her, she's talking to Vance distractedly, the surprising part is that he's actually nodding to her words as if he's listening. "Something like that I guess."

"Adelaide," Morgan calls out as she rushes out of the house with my pill bottle and a large beige Stanley cup with a straw.

"Tell me there's water in there." Vance says to her but when I meet her, I see there's iced coffee inside and she winks at me. "You know she doesn't drink enough water."

"It makes her happy." Morgan says dismissively and heads back inside, I take a sip of my coffee and turn to him victoriously.

LATER

"You missed a turn somewhere." Lorie says to Vance from the passenger seat since I decided to sprawl out in the back to read. I smile down at my book when he sighs.

I usually don't tell him that he's missed a turn even when he does, since I don't mind being in the car for a little longer and I know he'll figure it out. Lorie is not like me in that aspect.

"The DJ is doing a shit job back there." Vance says in frustration and I chuckle, pulling my phone out of my pocket and skipping whatever song was on before he raises the volume.

"Lorie, if you want the full Vance Ambrose experience, I need to take the filter off him." I say to her humorously and he glares at me over the rearview mirror.

"He has a filter on now?" Lorie laughs but I nod. "Okay, let's see it, big boy."

"Would you please relax and sit back? Let me drive, woman." He snaps at her and I turn to see her wide eyes before she glances back at me with a wicked smile. "And you know what playlist I like, just play that one." He groans back at me.

"He's a bit of a Princess sometimes." I whisper to Lorie but then I see his hand fly back and I let out a scream as I squirm away and she laughs.

LATER

I lean over the center console and watch videos that Lorie plays on her phone when I notice we keep going straight pass the Bellingham exit.

"I thought you said the Ski Resort was in Bellingham." I say to Lorie and she shrugs.

"It's by it, I guess." She says absentmindedly and I turn to Vance who shakes his head.

"Bellingham is an hour from Mt. Baker." Vance says and I nod. "His resort's actually somewhere in between." He squints out at the road when we pull up to a set of large wooden gates with the words Summit Nights Ski Resort on it. "Oh look at that." He says sarcastically.