Tiger Lily

ADELAIDE

My alarm goes off at six, I turn it off and shift to go back to sleep.

I can't. I toss and turn but I'm left staring at the dark ceiling in annoyance. Elijah slept soundly next to me, his arms wrapped around his pillow like a baby. He's a heavy sleeper, most of the time I'll wake up to his alarm and have to turn it off just to shake him awake.

Defeatedly, I slip out of bed and head to the bathroom where my bag is still sitting from last night.

I could go for a run, alone for a change since Vance promised to always be on my ass. But there's no danger here, not this early at least. Not anymore.

Getting ready and changing as quietly as possible was proven to be harder than I thought, but once I was done, I tiptoe my way out of the room and downstairs. Sighing as I reach the bottom victoriously I walk into the kitchen to see an older woman with long blonde hair and pale skin sweeping the floor. She looks up at me and my eyes go wide for a moment as I think of something to say.

"Vance is still asleep, I think, you can go out back." She whispers in a souther accent while nodding at the back door, I nod quickly and mouth a thank you before rushing out of the house.

Once outside, I breathe out the chilly air and rub my two long sleeves together to create some heat. I won't run for long, just enough to clear my head from the thoughts of the day ahead.

After stretching, I break into a light jog away from the manor and decide to take the dirt path that circles the golf course. The elevation here is significant compared to New York's, so needless to say I can feel it in my lungs.

I've been running for thirty minutes when I start getting the feeling I'm being watched.

By the lake at the golf course, I slow down and catch my breath by a tree, glancing around for anyone that may be lurking in the shadows. Not that there are many shadows anymore since the sun was starting to peak through.

Just when I was about to give up and continue my journey, a streak of black hair catches my eye behind a tree and I narrow my eyes before walking angrily towards them. My fear and anger were replaced by relief when I reach them and see Vance panting like a dog as he holds himself up.

"What the hell are you doing?" He asks with a hand on his chest.

"That's my line." I say with a finger pointed at him, he rolls his eyes and straightens up before following me back down the trail. "You could have said something instead of looking like a creep." He chuckles behind me.

"I think we've established I have little regard for my self image." He says as he comes to my side. "But you also seemed like you had a lot on your mind." I nod in agreement. "How was the rest of your night?" The question makes me shoot him a curious look but my eyes were too fast, too suspicious, and he smiles knowingly.

"Curse those thin walls." I groan and cover my burning face as we walk. After Elijah went downstairs, I could not stop thinking about Vance being in the room down the hall. I don't think I'll ever forget the way his voice dragged me out my poisoned mind.

"Adelaide, relax." Vance says lightheartedly and I glance at him apologetically. "You had a long day, I'm glad you enjoyed your bath." He says and starts jogging towards the manor as my eyes widen with horror. I don't know why that part is worse than him hearing me have sex with Elijah, maybe because I thought I was alone in the bathroom and was at my most vulnerable.

I start running after him. "We never speak of this again!" He laughs. "Vance-"

"Adelaide." He interrupts with a smile and I shoot him a glare. "What are you doing for your bachelorette party? Do you even have any friends?" He's changing the subject. I don't entertain him and start walking which makes him stop to wait for me. "Okay, fine, we never speak of this one thing." I nod but remain silent. "What are we, twelve?" When I simply slide my gaze over him slowly, he smiles sheepishly.