Renegotiating

VANCE

Fucking Devil woman.

She walks ahead of me, swaying her hips a little more than she usually does. She's putting on a show for me, begging me to break so that she doesn't have to give in to what I ask.

She doesn't understand that my victory tonight will mean I don't have to put up with this anymore. I have to succeed, I can't go another night sleeping two rooms from her. Can't speak in riddles or glances. I cannot keep playing those stupid word puzzles so that I can have a conversation with her that doesn't end in fucking 'breach'.

"We're meeting Neil and Lorie Braun." Adelaide says as I take in the place, the crowded tables and the exits. I note faces, searching for familiar ones I avoid, assessing pocket knives and small guns as the waitress leads us to our table. Adelaide reaches back to me and drops two fingers. Stand down. I flick her hand away lightly and she smiles softly back at me when we reach the table.

Okay, Lorie is not twelve. I suddenly understand what Adelaide is doing and it makes me want to pick her up and take her somewhere I can hold her face tightly to tell her to stop fucking with me. It doesn't matter that Lorie looks like she would be my type, resembling Adelaide's chestnut hair and brown eyes, she is not my type because she is not my little sinner. She will never be her.

"Neil, you've met Vance. Lorie, you haven't been formally introduced. Lorie Braun," Adelaide says gesturing between the woman who smiles brightly and me. "Vance Ambrose." I clench my jaw as I reach to shake the girl's hand over the table.

"Pleasure." Lorie says and I don my best charming smirk.

"All mine." I say and Adelaide slides her gaze over me and the hand still holding Lorie's. I clear my throat and pull back, pretending to be sweet and gentle.

"Please, Ms. King, seat next to me." Neil's crusty ass says as he pulls the chair next to him back. I move out of instinct to stop him but Adelaide smiles and moves to take her seat next to him. I sit in front of Neil, Lorie to my left.

"So, Mr. Ambrose," Lorie says as she skims the menu. "I've heard very good things about your work." I nod, taking the glass of water before me and having a sip.

"So have I of you." I respond and she chuckles with a shake of her head. "Of your mind of course, no one said you'd be this beautiful." Her cheeks turn pink and I sneak a glance towards Adelaide who laughs at something Neil says as she fixes her long hair behind her shoulders.

"You are Ms. King's bodyguard?" Lorie asks when the waiter shows up with a bottle of wine I assume the ordered before we got here. I nod to her question. "You two must be very close." Insinuating I fucked my little sinner already, I like this girl.

"As close as siblings." Adelaide laughs and my stomach turns in disgust. Lorie places a hand on her heart, seemingly touched by the fucking liar across the table.

"Adelaide tells me you're big into poetry, who's your favorite?" I absolutely loath this part of conversations. But I pretend to try and recall my favorite poet.

And lie. "William McGonagall." I say with a nod Adelaide chokes on her wine. Neil hands her a napkin and she takes it gratefully.

"Never heard of him." Lorie says with a curious frown and I turn to her completely, false shock on my face. "Is he good?"

"Good? The man is a master in his craft." I say while throwing an arm over Lorie's backrest and she gives me a surprised smile. "What about you? Who's your favorite?" She brings her hands together happily and I almost feel bad for her.

"I really like Shakespeare." She says and I force an uncomfortable intrigued look. I don't feel bad for her anymore. "The Taming of the Shrew is one of the best plays I've ever read." This is how I die, huh? Of boredom.