Chapter 12 Lover Coral

Lotty sat beside Brian and Bilkins in the stand of Barstow Speedway

Lotty sat beside Brian and Bilkins in the stand of Barstow Speedway. Watching a bunch of cars crash into each other. People are cheering them on from the stands as Lotty watched with interest. 

This was cool. She thought to herself. People run from the side of the stand as 68 hits 55 into the stands.

"Oh-- what," Bilkins jumped.

Lotty and Brian laughed as she looked over at him. "This is kind of cool, O'Conner," she nodded her head as she took a drink of the Dr. Pepper that Bilkins bought her at one of the vendors.

Brain nodded his head. "Yeah, it's pretty wild,"

"That you boy in the Monte Carlo?" Bilkins asked Brian.

"Yeah, that's him," Brian affirmed." Yeah, he's got some skills. And he's crazy as hell, I'm telling you,"

Bilkins looked at Brian as he ate a piece of popcorn. Brian looked at him, quickly rephrasing his words. "In a good way, though. He's the man for the job,"

Bilkins pulls out his black notepad. "And he's got quite a record, including three years upstate. Says here he's on house arrest now. Can't go more than 100 yards from his home,"

Lotty looked at the ring. How was he participating in the derby right now if he couldn't go that far? Lotty watched as Roman drove straight for the other car heading for him. As they hit each other, the other car flipped as he continued on. Roman climbed out the window as the crowd cheered him on. He waves at the crowd as he starts to head back, looking up into the stands as Brian and Lotty stand, his eyes land on them. He turns and walks away.

"He always said he be famous," Brian tells them.

Lotty and Bilkins followed Brian out from the stands and in the direction of Pearce.

"Pearce!" Brian called after him. But the man didn't hear or didn't care as he continued on. "Roman Pearce!"

Brian looked back at the two following him. "Yo, whatever happens next, just let it go,"

Lotty raised an eyebrow at that. Bilkins raises his hands. "I ain't in it,"

"I make no promises," Lotty shrugged.

Brian sighed. Turning back around, he whistled loudly, stopping. "Rome!"

That had gotten the man's attention. Roman stopped as he turned back to Brian. "Only my homeboys call me Rome, pig," He spits on the ground.

"I'm not a cop anymore, bro," Brian tells him.

"Is that true?" He asked, walking towards Brian. He looks to Lotty and Bilkins. "Blondie here is not a cop anymore?"

"That's true," Lotty said.

"No badge," Agent Bilkins agreed.

Roman walked forward, licking his lips as he looked around, thinking his decision through. He glanced back at Brian, who nodded at him. Roman balled his fist and swung, hitting Brian in the jaw and sending him to the ground.