➿Chapter Two➿

Mulder fumbled to get the key into the keyhole. He was flipping out. Scully was never late to work. Never. What if she was dying? Scully was the only one he could trust. The only one he could talk to. The only one who believed him. The only one who would ever help him. She was the kindest person. The only one he could ever love. He opened the door. 

"Scully!" He cried. He was in tears.

"Up here," a small, frail voice responded. 

"Scully!" He was worried sick. "Scully!" He ran up stairs, down a hallway, and into her room. "Are you-Oh-uh-I" she had covered herself with a pillow. She was sobbing. And completely bruised and bloody. He ran over to her bedside. 

"What happened?" He asked her, stroking her cheek. "I don't know. I just woke up like this! It hurts, Mulder." 

Mulder got up and got soap and and a first aid kit. She squeezed his arm and cried out in pain as he cleaned and bandaged her wounds. It was very awkward, for the both of them, but they didn't show it. Mulder put her in a t-shirt that read, "NY YANKEES" and shorts, and then picked her up and carried her downstairs and onto the couch. He turned on the news and left to go to the kitchen. He made her some eggs and toast. 

She ate fast. That surprised Mulder. He opened his mouth to speak when the phone rang. He ran over and answered it. It was Skinner. 

"Hello,"

"Hey," 

"I would like to request two weeks off of work." Mulder stated. 

"And why is that?" Skinner replied. 

"I'm afraid that, uh, Agent Scully has been through some, uh, traumatic events, and she needs time to recover."

"Permission granted. I will give Agent Scully as much time as she needs."

"Thank you."

Mulder hung up. 

"Thank you," Scully said. "I appreciate it."

"Of course. Do you want me to stay the night?" 

"Sure. You don't have to. But-"

"If you want it, then I have to." 

"Okay"

.............

Mulder was sleeping in the guest bed. He had his gun on him, and his door open so he could easily get into Scully's room. They both fell asleep quickly. 

Mulder woke up and heard thrashing. He ran into Scully's room, gun out, just to find her in bed. She was thrashing around, murmuring. Mulder ran over to her and shook her awake. She scream as she saw him. He looked him up and down, and sighed. 

"It's just you,"

"How'd you tell?"

"UFO pants"

"Ah. Did you have a nightmare?"

"Yeah"

"Are you okay?"

"No"

Mulder crawled into bed with her and gave her a hug. 

"How about now?" 

"Better. Just don't hug so tight." 

"Okay." 

They exchanged a few words, but quickly drifted off to sleep.