Chapter 67 - The case of Andrea Yates

Anxiety, stress, fatigue, and even depression. 15 to 20% of women experience a postnatal depression episode after their pregnancy, and it's not very difficult to understand why. Being a mother is not innate; it's a role we have to learn, sometimes at our own expense. So, how to find peace when you have to care for an attention-demanding being without having slept yourself last night? Can this lack of rest lead to madness?

 So, how to find peace when you have to care for an attention-demanding being without having slept yourself last night? Can this lack of rest lead to madness?

When you see the face on the left, what do you feel? We agree that it's really the face of a happy, fulfilled young woman. How about the image on the right? What do you feel when you see that family? Once again, we have a seemingly perfect family portrait, right?

However, if there is ONE thing I hope to have taught you, what is it? Appearances can be deceiving!!

Today, some people in this photo are no longer alive, and another one is in prison.

This case is really difficult to hear, to understand, especially when you love children. Nevertheless, it is necessary to talk about it to open the debate on a still too taboo subject.

So, get cozy, grab your wine, grab your snacks or popcorn and let's get into the story.

**

Andrea Yates was born in Houston, Texas, United States. She is the youngest of five children. Her mother, Jutta Karin Koehler, is a German immigrant, and her father, Andrew Emmett Kennedy, has Irish origins. Jutta and Andrew come from two different countries, but they have one thing in common: their love for religion. They are devout Catholics, and they raise all their children according to Christian principles.

You could say that the siblings are quite sheltered, maybe a little too sheltered.

In the early years, the children thrive quite well. The youngest of the family, Andrea, is well educated and a very good student.

She's basically the perfect child.

In high school, she is the top of her class, in other words, she is the best among all the students at her level. And besides being brainy, Andrea is also athletic, as she is the captain of the swimming team.