The Notorious Florida School for Boys - Part 2

In 1903, just three years after its opening, an inspection reported that students at the school were routinely kept in leg irons.

In 1914, a fire in one of the dormitories killed six boys and two employees.

Was it intentional or not? We don't know...

On September 21, 1934, Thomas Varnadoe, 13, and his brother Hubert, 15, were accused of stealing a typewriter from a woman's back porch. They were then sent by the sheriff to the reform, justifying their crime as a "malicious trespass." Only 38 days after their arrival, Thomas died. His death certificate listed the cause of death as pneumonia.

 His death certificate listed the cause of death as pneumonia

Left to right: Huber - Thomas

Pneumonia...? DO you get déjà-vus about that word? Same cause of death of George.

Speaking of George...

In 1940, George was sent to the school for destroying a stolen car. Shortly after his arrival at the school, he attempted to escape but was caught. Later, in December 1940, he once again tried to escape, this time with one of his classmates. A while later, in January 1941, George's family received a letter saying "...so far, we have not been able to get any information concerning his whereabouts." George's mother replied that she intended to go to Marianna to find her son. Panicked, the school called her and told her that they had found their son's body under a house. They also said that the body was so decomposed that they could not determine the cause of death, but that he had certainly died of exposure. George's family never believed this version, especially since the boy who was with George said that the last time he saw him, he was running across a field with guards shooting at him.

Unless the school used bullets called "pneumonia"? This poor boy was probably shot to death. They gotta stop using that as an excuseeee!!

His family asked for his body to be taken to a local mortuary where they would collect his remains, but upon arriving at the school, he had been already buried. His family has been unable to obtain a death certificate and the Bureau of Vital Statistics has no record of his death either.