Chapter 1 : The Stumble

"Kiara Robert Kapoor, get up right now," my papa scowled, his voice carrying a mix of frustration and concern. "Five more minutes," I said, attempting to escape his insistence by hiding my face under the warm blanket.

"Nope, not anymore. You've been saying that for the past half an hour," he retorted, pulling the blanket away to expose my sleepy face. Before I could protest, he playfully splashed some water on me, effectively rousing me from my slumber.

"Ouch, that's harsh," A sweet voice chimed in from behind - it was my mom, the ever-affectionate soul I adored. "Avi, let her be. It's not like she has her interview today."

"Oh Fuck" the realization hit me like a ton of bricks - I had an interview today, and not just any interview, but one with the prestigious company, THE MILLONS. I remember watching their TV commercials about Millon products and humming along to their catchy songs. Trust me when I say I can recite the whole advertisement by heart.

"Language-"

"Okay, okay, sorry. Can you guys leave? I need to freshen up," I requested, jumping out of bed with newfound urgency.

"Yes, of course, peanut. I'll be making pancakes, so be quick, or else your papa would gobble everything up," Mom said with a warm smile, tapping my cheek affectionately.

They make me feel like a 12-year-old girl, even though I'm actually 27. Mentally, I still feel 20, but here I am, a grown-up ass . Any normal American family would have kicked me out, but here I am, living with my Indian dad and Indian-American mom. But i do love them a lot , i wouldn't hesitate dying 10 times and over again just for them .

After quickly freshening up and changing, I decided to go for a simple yet elegant outfit. The first impression is essential, after all.

Looking at my wide wardrobe, I wondered, "Why do I have so many heels? I mean, heels can never be enough, but still, how am I supposed to choose one for fuck's sake ?" I had a weakness for heels and had amassed quite a collection of at least 20 pairs

Looking at my wide wardrobe, I wondered, "Why do I have so many heels? I mean, heels can never be enough, but still, how am I supposed to choose one for fuck's sake ?" I had a weakness for heels and had amassed quite a collection of at least 20 pairs. I proudly spend half of my salary on heels.

Oh how I love heels . I could kill for it .

After 20 hard minutes of thinking, I decided to go with the boots for today.

Breakfast was a delightful affair as I savored my favorite - fluffy pancakes - the love of my life . I was ready to step out when my mom asked me to pray. Honestly, I've never been very religious, but I do believe in God - Krishna Ji. I love the aura and positive vibes I get when I sit in a mandir - temple. It's the customs I don't believe in.

It was only 9:30 in the morning, and I still had an hour and a half before my interview. I was in a great mood, as always. I put on my earphones and strolled towards Starbucks, practically dancing to the beats of the song "Desi Boys." It has the sickest beats, and no song could ever beat it.

As I was approaching Starbucks, my euphoria was cut short when I accidentally collided with a tall, muscular guy, spilling coffee all over my beloved boots. My heart sank at the sight of the hot, steaming liquid cascading down the front of my boots, creating a dark, sticky mess.