Chapter 2 : Chasing Opportunities

~Kiara~ 

Ah, the delightful twists of fate. There I stood, face-to-face with the potential gatekeeper of my future boss, and in a true Murphy's Law fashion, I managed to shower his companion with an impromptu water ballet. Oh, the irony!

Intriguing, isn't it?

As if life decided to throw its own version of a rom-com meet-cute, my boots became casualties of this water spectacle. Picture this – Cinderella, if her glass slippers had a not-so-fairytale encounter with a puddle. The horror! This was less "happily ever after" and more "drenched and distressed." If only I could get a fairy godmother to reverse this soggy curse.

I sneakily glanced at my watch – nearly 10 am. The impending interview was my ticket to the big leagues, but if I sprinted home to salvage my boots, I'd be fashionably late – and not in the chic way. Being tardy wasn't on my agenda, especially when punctuality was my golden ticket to professionalism.

Being late for the interview would convey a lack of interest and an air of irresponsibility. And I couldn't have that. Not today, not ever.

The stage was set – my dream job dangling in front of me like a tantalizing carrot in front of a rabbit. Four rounds of interviews later, I was one step away from the final act. My life had turned into an audition for a reality show, minus the confetti cannons and dramatic eliminations.

But rewind back three years, and you'd find a different story. I applied for this very job, hoping to be welcomed with open arms, but no! They deemed me underqualified, as if my dreams were made of thin air. The lack of experience was their excuse for slamming the door on my face.

After the rejection, I was an emotional mess. I felt like the protagonist of a tragic romance movie - except the romance was with my dream job, and it was an unrequited love story. Imagine studying and working my butt off for over 20 years, only to be brushed aside by my dream company.

A few years ago, I was way more immature than I am now. Back then, I took the rejection personally, as if they had criticized my cooking. But now, I know that getting rejected is not the end of the world. It's their loss, truly - they won't have the privilege of having such a hardworking employee like me. Not getting accepted is not the end of the world, right?

It's all God's plan leading to something bigger and better.

As I wracked my brain for a solution, a beacon of hope appeared on the sidewalk - a small local shoe shop nearby. Its exterior had a quaint charm, with a colorful assortment of shoes displayed on the windowsill, tempting passersby like me.

I entered the shop, and a delightful chime sounded, announcing my arrival. The interior was like stepping into a shoe wonderland - shelves lined with an array of footwear, each with its unique charm. The aroma of fresh leather and shoe polish wafted through the air, adding a touch of nostalgia to the atmosphere.

A middle-aged woman with twinkling eyes greeted me with a warm smile. Aubrey, as she introduced herself, was the epitome of grace and charm. Her gentle demeanor and the way she lovingly arranged the shoes reflected her genuine passion for her craft.

"So, sweetie, how did you manage to spoil such pretty shoes?" she inquired, her eyes filled with curiosity and concern, making me feel like I was talking to a caring aunt.

"Oh, Aubrey, picture this – a caffeine-challenged gentleman turned my boots into his personal splash zone," I recounted with a hint of exasperation.

"Your day started off on the wrong foot , didn't it ? " Aubrey sympathized.

"Exactly. I hope the rest of it goes smoother. I have an interview later on," I replied, hoping for some much-needed luck.

"Don't you worry, dear. You will do just fine," Aubrey assured me, her encouraging words offering a glimmer of hope.