Chapter 5 :Take It or Leave It

~Kiara~

"Well, I suppose I have a counterproposal," he said, his voice composed and controlled. 

His words seemed to hang there, a delicate balance between challenge and concession. I met his gaze with an arched eyebrow, my own confidence unwavering.

"I would pay you 20 grand just to resign," his lips curved into a calculated smile, "along with a recommendation letter that could grease the wheels for you anywhere you'd like. It's quite the lucrative deal."

I feigned contemplation, tapping my chin thoughtfully. "Tempting offer, Mr. Millon. But you see, I have a personal goal. I want my achievements to be a constant thorn in your side. With each step forward I take, with every success I achieve for your company , I want your memory to conjure this face."

A sardonic smirk crept onto his lips, his eyes glinting with amusement. "Ah, the eternal workaholic. Let's see how long that workaholic facade of yours lasts."

"How would you know that? Stalking much?" I fired back, my tone dripping with sarcasm.

He leaned forward, his demeanor growing colder. "Ms. Robert,I hired you , I make it my business to know those who enter my domain. You're not as subtle as you think."

I leaned in as well, my smile turning into a razor-sharp grin. "Oh, I'm fully aware that subtlety isn't your strong suit either, Mr. Millon. Neither is humility, it seems." 

"Why would you hire me just to give me a taste of happiness, only to wash it all away with termination?"

"If I were aware I was hiring dumbfucks who read newspapers upside down, I wouldn't. You may take your leave now," Mr. Millon stated with a dismissive wave of his hand.

Why did he have to notice that ? And i thought my luck worked for once 

I raised an eyebrow, my smile undeterred by his dismissive tone. "Ah, Mr. Millon, I see we've moved on from the delicate art of negotiation to the blunt force of insults. Quite the wordsmith, aren't you?"

His lips twitched, almost as if he was struggling to suppress a smirk. "Crafting words isn't always effective in the business world, nor is being this chatty, Ms. Robert."

I leaned forward, my grin taking on a sharper edge. "Ah, Mr. Millon, your bluntness is truly a sight to behold. It's almost as if you've perfected the art of being disagreeable. Quite the achievement, I must say."

"Let's see how much of that drive to work you really have. Frankly, I'd be surprised if you manage to last more than a week. And trust me, I'll personally ensure that outcome," he declared with a smug grin.

"Touché," I replied, a sarcastic grin playing on my lips, as I playfully blew a flying kiss in his direction.

As I was meticulously arranging my belongings, I picked up my stuff with care. In a split second, I saw his laptop teetering on the edge of the table. Instinct took over, and I released everything in my hands to save the laptop from its impending fall.

But neither his laptop nor my files were spared. Everything lay scattered on the ground.

My luck being what it always was, like a constant shadow. I seemed to have a knack for ruining things, didn't I?

I couldn't bring myself to look into his eyes after the mess I'd caused. I scrambled to gather the scattered items, my heart pounding. Then, his voice cut through the air like a cold blade, "Leave."

Bending down, he joined in the effort to pick up the scattered mess.

"I am really sorry, I did not intend for everything to fall," I stammered, my voice shaky.