Chapter 3 : Fate, Freckles, and Future Hires

~Ethan~

Seated at the head of the sleek conference table, I swiveled in my chair, giving the presentation a scrutinizing look. My thoughts were like laser beams dissecting each slide. I didn't just want a presentation; I wanted a symphony of brilliance that would echo through the annals of corporate history.

"Is this the best we can do?" I remarked, my tone a chilling reminder of my expectations. The team exchanged uneasy glances, acutely aware of the gauntlet they had just entered.

"This chart," I gestured, "It's a colorful masterpiece. Reminds me of a children's art project, though I'd expect more substance from toddlers."

Silence descended, thick as winter fog. I leaned back, my expression frozen in a mix of boredom and exasperation. "And don't even get me started on the budget. Are we trying to win a gold medal in financial recklessness?"

The uncomfortable shift in their seats was palpable. "Sir, we thought—"

"You thought?" I interrupted, a disdainful smile quirking at the corner of my lips. "I don't pay you to think. I'd suggest you start."

One of them dared to meet my gaze, a flicker of defiance that quickly drowned in my unwavering stare. "Now, let me be clear. Excellence is our bare minimum. We don't just participate; we conquer. Understood?"

The room bobbed in a sea of uneasy nods. I stood up, my chair scraping against the floor in a symphony of obedience. "Well then, I shall eagerly await a presentation that doesn't make me want to write poetry about the agony of mediocrity."

As I walked out, I could practically taste the relief wafting through the air, as if they'd just survived a Category 5 storm of scrutiny. I had set the bar high, and they would either rise to the occasion or face the consequences.

Exiting the conference room, my steps carried me down the corridor. My thoughts were still immersed in the meeting, my mind dissecting strategies and dissecting every detail. As I rounded the corner, an unexpected sight caught my attention.

There she was, the girl from earlier, the one who had the audacity to throw water at me and even managed to collide with my face. . A bemused grin played on my lips, replaying the amusing encounter in my head. My act of holding her back wasn't exactly in character, but her actions had pushed my buttons, to say the least. Let's just say, I wasn't in the most serene state of mind when she had crossed paths with me.

Her face was half-hidden behind an upside-down newspaper – an unconventional choice of disguise, I must admit. Only her eyes, those gleaming brown orbs, peeked out, darting around like nervous squirrels avoiding my gaze.

What could she be up to now? Covert operations? Espionage? Planning to sue for emotional distress caused by coffee collision? The possibilities were endless.

Whatever her mission, Gray's probably better equipped to handle it. With a mental shrug and a chuckle, I left Miss Newspaper Ninja to her covert operations.

~Kiara~

Well, Mr. Goblin didn't even give me a passing glance. It's like luck finally decided to tag along for the ride.

Oh, he's gone and switched up his outfit, probably to avoid becoming a walking water damp billboard. And hold on a second, what's that? A tiny bandage gracing those lips, courtesy of yours truly. I can't help but feel a pang of guilt, but then I remember the whole water drenching thing and it's like my conscience high-fived me.

Let's face it, the guy had it coming. A little splash of rainwater is a mild punishment for his coffee catastrophe. Consider it a future lesson in manners – "Apologize or risk getting wet." I bet he won't be so quick to forget his manners next time.