Jeongin

"Locked up while trapped in that pretty cage

"Locked up while trapped in that pretty cage."
.
.
.

~High School~ (Age : 18)

"I'm broke," I sighed as I stared at the numbers in my bank account that were relatively low. "I should really start saving money."

I say that as I walk around a convenience store with a basket full of snacks and contemplate whether I should leave some behind, but decide on buying them all because I need to eat, right?

I bring my things up to the register and the cashier behind the counter simply laughed, "Didn't think I would see you here on your day off."

"I didn't want to either, but I was hungry." I chuckled as my coworker began to scan the items.

I have been working part time four days a week here at the convenience store for a few months now. The moment the bell rings for my last class, I rush on over here and begin my shift from five to nine. The job wasn't terrible neither the best, but it was something and it gave me time to secretly do some homework when there was no one coming by.

I quickly paid for my things and waved my coworker goodbye before I stepped out carrying a small bag in my hand.

I was greeted with the cold air hitting my skin making me shudder for a second. Leaves swayed in the air and fluttered to the ground and when I gazed up, the tree right beside the store was almost barren signaling that the new season was soon approaching.

I pulled my hoodie over my head and stuffed my free hand inside the pocket of my warm coat as I walked down the path that would lead me back home that was a block away.

My feet guided me up the stairs to my apartment and I removed my hand from my pocket to twist the door knob.

"I'm back," I announce as I enter and remove my shoes and slip on my sandals. I close the door shut and saw my mom scurrying around the living room as she gathered her tote bag and purse.

My mom and I lived in small apartment with two bedrooms, one bathroom and a living room connected to the kitchen. It was small and cozy, so it was enough for the two of us.

My parents divorced and I was left with my mom who worked herself to the bone with two jobs to make ends meet and it was evident in her appearance that it was taking a toll on her.

Her (e/c) eyes, that she passed on to me, once shined but were now drained and held dark circles underneath them. She ran her frail hands through her hair and tried to push down the strands of hair that were sticking out like a sore thumb.