12: Bubbling Under

Plates and plates of untouched food sat at the dining table. Taehyung was there, alone, trying to eat as much so they won't go to waste. Jungkook doesn't like to eat. The smell of garlic and meat repulse him. Everything served did not sit well with his nose. He's been puking and experiencing stomach pain and headaches. The doctor said that his hormones are imbalanced. It is because of his congenital disorder. The one that made him look like a male. They say they don't have to worry. He has started taking medications and hormone therapy. In a few days, he'll be back to how he is.

Taehyung hoped for it to happen. Jungkook has been so moody lately. He cries for seemingly the most insignificant reasons. Like when the banana milk he asked for spilled. He spends half of the day mad at Taehyung. Yesterday, he was mad at him for something Taehyung did in his dream. He doesn't like to be touched. And everything Taehyung does is so irritatingly noisy.

His eating and contemplation was interrupted when a request for a video call appeared on his screen.

"Yeah?" He quickly answered.

"Can you get me some ice cream?"

There was no one on the screen. Taehyung can only see the bedroom ceiling.

"Just a scoop."

"Why?" Jungkook whined.

"You're at risk for diabetes."

"Chocolate."

"Okay."

"Can you put chocolate chips in it? And chocolate syrup?"

"Honey..."

"But I'm hungry!"

"Have some proper food. What do you want?"

"That ice cream."

"Just the ice cream."

"Noooooo!"

"Jeon Jungkook." He scolded exasperatedly, pinching the bridge of his nose.

Silence. Taehyung knew enough to know that it's not a peaceful one.

"I don't want it anymore." Jungkook spoke coldly.

The call was dropped. Taehyung mutely punched the air and pulled his hair. He glumly went back to eating. A few minutes later, his phone rang again. He swiftly grabbed, expecting Jungkook on the other line. But it wasn't him.

"He told them already?" He asked himself before he answered. "Why?"

"We saw your mom today." Seokjin started. "You didn't tell her?"

Taehyung was taken aback.

"Why? Taehyung, Irene isn't just anyone. She's your mother. You can't keep something like this to her."

"I know. I meant to tell her." He cowered.

"Why didn't you? This is not fair to her. And to Jungkook. You can't hide your husband from your own mother. I know that your marriage should be kept hidden but not to your family. She deserves to know and he deserves to be known."

"I know. I'm sorry. It's just..."

"She might understand. And if she doesn't...well, will that stop you from being with Jungkook?"

Taehyung broke into a heavy huff. "You really know how to not give a fuck."

He wished he inherited that from his father. He wished he is as unapologetic as he is. He wished he has the courage to stand up for who he chose to love. Regardless of any approval or validation from others. Even from his own parents and kin.