17: Bundle of Joy

"Tae."

"Hmm?"

"Wake up and eat."

Taehyung lifted his head with his eyes still closed.

"Come on. So you'll have energy when Jungkook wakes up."

He groggily stood and walked to the sitting room. Seokjin handed him a pair of chopsticks.

"Where's dad?"

"NICU." He replied while handing him a bowl of rice.

"Father?"

"He's there too."

He turned his head towards the bed. Jungkook's so still. He fell asleep again immediately after last night. They told Taehyung not to worry but he was quite shaken when Jungkook did not recognize him. The doctor said that it's just the side effect of the anesthesia.

"Just remind him every day. Woe him every day."

"You said I should not worry." He pouted.

"But whatever happens, you're stubborn ass won't let him forget you. Right?"

"If he won't like me?"

"Who didn't like you?"

"What if he forgot about me and Gukkie? He learned to love me because of him. And if he can't remember Gukkie, do you think he'll ever love him?"

His father was about to say something. He stopped and his eyes widened. Taehyung looked behind him, to where Seokjin was gaping. He saw Jungkook sitting and staring at them. He slowly rose and paced to him.

"Jeon Jungkook?" He asked hesitantly.

Jungkook's face was blank. But then, his lips curved into a wide smile. Taehyung was still frozen, unsure of what to do.

"Hi." He greeted Taehyung tenderly.

Taehyung finally moved. His feet was drawn to close the distance.

"Hello." He replied with tears in his eyes.

Jungkook opened his arms wide and Taehyung quickly embraced him.

"I didn't leave you. Thank God, I don't have to."

"You're a miracle." He kissed his forehead. "You and Gukkie. My miracle."

"How is he?"

They came to NICU as soon as all the assessments for Jungkook were done. He's still in pain. But nothing can stop him.

"In a few days, he won't need the incubator. Then, in a few weeks, the ventilator will be removed. By then, you can take him home."

Jungkook marveled at him but he can't stop feeling sad at the tubes attached to his small body.

"You did well. You kept him as long as you can. In a few weeks, he'd be as if this did not happen. His test results came out fine too."

"Is he sleeping?"

She nodded. "You want to touch him?"

"Can I?" He asked excitedly.

"It'd be good for him to feel your warmth and be familiar to your smell. Here."

She slotted Jungkook's hand in an opening. He cautiously placed his finger on Gukkie's cheek, stroking it. Ever so lightly like it's the most fragile thing. Taehyung watched him, seeing tears filled his eyes.

"H-how are you?" He asked breathlessly. "Mama's here."

Taehyung quickly got defeated by his emotions. A drip fell from the corner of his eye and rolled down the bridge of his nose. He placed a light touch on Jungkook's shoulder.