chapter 2 .

╰┈➤ season 1 ⋆ the summer i turned pretty

                                  .ೃ࿐ ⋆·˚

august 27 , 2019

summer time was just starting off, and the kids had already went to the beach for a swim on the hot afternoon.

     jasmine sat on the sand and watched. she cupped a hand over her eyes to look over at belly, jeremiah, and conrad in the water. they were running around, splashing, and dunking each other.

      jeremiah saw her looking, and held his hands against his mouth.

"jasmine! come join us!" he called. she frantically shook her head, and copied his megaphone hands.
"i'm okay!"
he frowned, "really? come on!"

     she tried to search her brain for an excuse.
"i-i'm... uh.. waiting for steven!" 

    belly and conrad stopped trying to dunk each other, and joined in on the conversation.

"where is my brother anyway?" belly yelled to jasmine.
she shrugged, "i'll find him!"

     she got up, and made her way back to the beach house.
     she made sure she brushed the sand off her legs, and arms, before she entered the house.

     jasmine called his name a few times, checked his room, and knocked on doors. she eventually gave up. so, she thought she'd ask the moms.
     she went to the stairs of their wing of the house, and went to her mother's room. she knocked on the door, and heard a soft "come in!"

    she pulled open the door and found her mother, and laurel watching tv on her bed.
"hey sweetie," her mother said, and paused the tv, "what's up?"
"have you guys seen steven?"

     the two moms exchanged a look.

"oh, no i haven't seen him since breakfast," her mother said, raising her eyebrows.
"i mean, i did see him bike away earlier-"

     before laurel could finish, susannah pat her on the shoulder, and gave her strained chuckle.

"what?" she questioned, not seeing what was wrong with what she said. jasmine didn't see what the issue was either.
"is something wrong?" she asked.
her mother shook her head, "no, sweetie. i think he maybe just went for a bike ride."
jasmine hummed suspiciously, "okay..."

    she left the room, and closed the door behind her. she heard silent scolds from her mother as she spoke to laurel.
     jasmine walked down the stairs, silently wondering what was up with them.

     as she descending down the stairs, she heard the front door opening. she looked around, and quickly found hiding spot in the kitchen before the person could see her.
      jasmine heard what had to be steven, run up the stairs into the kids wing of the house, then stomp back down down to the first floor.

     she panicked, and tiptoed to the counter. she swiftly sat down, and pretended to text someone on her phone.
     steven walked into the kitchen, and froze when he saw her at the counter.

jasmine looked up, "oh, hi steven."
"hey jazzy."
"i heard you come in, where were you?"
"i... uh.." he looked behind him, "i just went biking."
she nodded her head suspiciously, "oh.. okay. well, conrad, belly, and jere were looking for you."
"where are they?"
"at the beach."
"why aren't you with them?"

     jasmine glanced around the room, and bit the inside of her cheek.
"i was looking for you."
steven looked surprised, and tried to fight a smile.
"aw.. were you worried for me?"
"what? no!" jasmine defended, scrunching her face.
steven came to her side, and pat her on the head.
she slapped his hand away, "jere told me to!" she lied.

steven walked over to a cupboard, and began to look through it.
"whatever you say," he said without facing her.
she rolled her eyes at his back.
"i'll be in my room," she got up from her chair, and pocketed her phone, "i hope you trip on your way to the beach."
"okay, fuck you."

she didn't say anything back, and just ran up to her room.
she suspiciously eyed her door because it  opened, just a bit. because she knew she shut it before she left.

jasmine cautiously opened her door, glancing around to make sure no intruder was in there. there wasn't, but she could never be too sure.
      she looked around, and saw a copy of the book, a tree grows in brooklyn on her bed.

      she looked around her room one more time, like someone would pop out of no where and admit they had given her the book. but of course, no one.
     she carefully picked up the book, and fumbled it around in her hands. as she opened it up, she ran her hand over the clean pages. the book was brand new.
    but then again, where did it come from..?

wait.

     jasmine stopped. she looked back and forth from the book, and her door.
      steven. did steven get her the book?obviously. probably. hopefully.
     she thought she'd ask him about it later, but she never did. she never dared to bring it up.

                                 . . .