chapter 11 .

╰┈➤ season 1 ⋆ the summer i turned pretty

                                  .ೃ࿐ ⋆·˚

august 27th. 2018

jasmine shoved a handful of lucky charms in her mouth. her copy of the color purple laid out on the counter. her reading light sat right above the book, and illuminated the pages.

  she was very into her book, and she didn't even hear steven come into the room.

"what are you doing?"

  she flinched, and a few of the cereal bits in her hand dropped to the floor. she snatched her reading light from her book, and held it up to the figure in front of her.
the light showed steven's dimly lit figure. he was in his matching pajama set, while hair stuck up on his head.

"stop shining that in my face," he said, and blocked the light with his hands.
"you scared me."
"that was the point," steve shrugged.

  jasmine groaned, and placed the light back on the counter. she turned and steven was talking a seat next to her.

  he rubbed his eyes, and lazily reached out for her book. he flipped to the front cover, and nodded.
"the color purple?"
"yeah. that's what it says."
  he glared at her, and got up to get a bowl from a cabinet.
"what's it about?"
"2 sisters, celie and nettie. the book is supposed to be their letters to each other," jasmine explained.
he hummed, and went to grab the milk from the fridge, "why are you awake?"
"why are you awake?" she asked
"i asked you first," he said, and started to pour milk and the lucky charms into his cereal.
she picked out a marshmallow from his bowl, "i was up reading my book. so, i just came down for a snack. how about you?"
"i couldn't sleep," he said as he sat down next to her.
"figured."

jasmine grabbed her reading light, and attached it back to her book. she took one glance over at steven, before going back to reading. or, she tried to.
she couldn't focus because she could feel him staring at her. she didn't know why he was looking at her, but he was.

"need something?" she asked, and looked up for a second.
he blinked, "what?"
"you're staring at me."
"i am not."
"yes, you are..!"
"i'm not..!"
"okay.."
"okay."

jasmine rolled her eyes at him, and tried to focus back on reading. but she just couldn't.

steven cleared his throat, "jazzy."
"what?" she asked, barley looking up from her book.
"what's a book that you've wanted to read?"
she finally looked at him and narrowed her eyes at him, "why?"
he shrugged, "oh.. y'know.. because i'm just... curious."
"okay... um.. i've always wanted to read a tree grows in brooklyn."
"noted."
"okay weirdo..."

  she shoved him lightly, and laughed quietly. then, she proceeded on reading.
  steven watched her carefully, and smiled to himself. he turned quickly when she realized he was looking at her. he was quiet the rest of the time, and finished eating his cereal.

. . .

a / n - i finally updated 🤗🤗