- interlude . i

╰┈➤ season 1 ⋆ the summer i turned pretty

.ೃ࿐ ⋆·˚

  as steven was dragged away to inside of the country club, his co-worker instructed him to change into a fancier outfit of a bowie, and suit vest.
  after he changed. he went to the body mirror and fixed his bowtie.
his co-worker knocked on his dressing room door, "you ready kid?"
"uh.. yeah," steven replied. he fixed his hair one last time before unlocking his door.
  steven followed the older guy out of the fancy dressing room, and back to a different kitchen area.
"just go out there, walk around, and see if they need anything. tea refilled, y'know?"

  steven nodded, and went out from behind the curtains. he looked around, and saw the table belly, and shayla were sitting at.
  as he approached their table, he vaguely listened to the girls conversations. steven did as he was supposed to, and carefully picked up their teapot to refill their tea.

  he went over to shayla's cup, and poured it carefully. he felt nervous under shayla's quiet stare, and he could feel her eyes on him as he poured. but he kept his composure, and as he finished pouring, shayla gently grabbed his arm to bring him to her level.
"meet me later," she whispered to him.
"i will," he whispered back with a smile.

  he walked off with his hands behind his back, and sauntered back over to back of the room.
  after he waited, and watched a bit to see if he needed to help one of the deb's tables, he got bored. he decided to text belly about something that bothered him about this morning. he pulled out his phone from his pocket, and tried to hide it as he texted belly, for he wasn't supposed to be on his phone when working.

                                . . .

<                                     ⚪️ 📹
Belly Button🤦‍♀️

Belly
Do you know what's up with Jasmine?

                                . . .

"so just don't be nervous," the girl next to belly said with a comforting smile, "okay? do you
want some?" she asked, offering her flask.

belly was distracted by the notification beep from inside her small clutch purse, and the sight of cam outside of the deb room. she felt the need to run out there.
"um, no thanks, i'm good. but.. uh, i'll be right back," belly said
"oh okay..."
"sorry," she grabbed her clutch purse, and got up immediately to run out of the room. she could feel the judgmental stares of other debs as she ran out.

"cam!" she yelled as she closed the door. she found him halfway down the flight of stairs, but he immediately started running back up at the sound belly's voice.
"belly.. what are you doing here?"
"uh.." she hesitated.
"wait, are you a deb?" he asked.
"yeah, i guess. technically, yes."
"cool, nice."
"i-i went down to the marina yesterday.. but uh.. your boat had already left," belly explained.
"seriously? man.."
"yeah, if you'd looked back toward the pier, you would've seen a-a sweaty version of me looking wistfully towards your boat," she laughed.
cam half grinned at her, "well, we never want you to be wistful."
"you know, i think it's too late. the wistfulness has set in."
"no...!" the boy responded jokingly.
"no, i might be wistful forever," she said with a smile.
"okay.. well do you think going to a drive-in movie with me tonight might help with the wistfulness?" cam said nervously.
"yeah, i think it would," belly could hear jasmine's voice in the back of her mind, teasing her for being all giddy.
"cool." he said with a grin, while belly laughed lightly, "uh, y'know what? let me give you this. you can put your information in."

the boy handed her his phone, and watched carefully as she put in her number in. this gave belly the helpful reminder to check her phone.
"i think that should be good. there you go."
"sweet, yay. cool. so.. i'll see you later?"
"okay yeah... bye," she replied feeling the butterflies swarm in her stomach.
"bye. have fun. see you later."

she watched him walk away, and finally, the moment hit her. she grinned happily to herself, and she felt her stomach swoop when she thought about her date tonight.
belly felt herself get too distracted, and decided to check the notification from earlier. she opened up her clutch as she conveniently brought it with her to meet cam. she opened up her small bag, and pulled out her phone. she opened the text from steven with a confused look on her face.

                                . . .

<                                     ⚪️ 📹
       steven🙄👎

steven🙄👎
Belly
Do you know what's up with Jasmine?

what?
why
wdym?

                                . . .

  he answered almost instantly.

                                . . .

<                                     ⚪️ 📹
        steven🙄👎

steven🙄👎
Idk
She just seemed pissed off when Susannah came in this morning and announced you were a Deb

                                . . .

belly's smile faded. she didn't know why jasmine was angry. why would she be angry about this?

                                . . .

<                                     ⚪️ 📹
       steven🙄👎

idk either
just ask her abt it

                                . . .

  belly bit her lip from texting, "or maybe i could as her," to steven. she didn't want jasmine to fill up her mind the rest of her deb meet, and wanted to focus on her upcoming days with cam. so, that's all she responded with before she opened the deb room doors.