Chapter 2: Mega Evolution and the Prism Tower!

"Ahh!" Serena wailed and gripped rhyhorn's reigns so tight it made her knuckles pale. The rock pokemon bucked his back legs and jumped about, doing everything in his power to try and throw the young woman off.

"That's it, Serena you're nearly there." Grace leaned against their backyard fence with Fletchy with an encouraging smile. However, Serena's pretty face contorted into sheer terror and she longed for the training to end. "Come on, Serena, go for broke!" Despite Grace's cries, rhyhorn, at last, succeeded and threw Serena off his back. She landed face first, dirt covering her skin, hair, and pink racing suit. Grace cringed a little and remembered what it felt like when throw offs happened.

"Mom, I hate this!" Serena erupted so that half the town heard.

Miles away in Lumiose city, Ash raced towards the building marked on his map. Froakie lay in his arms, unconscious, and injured. Pikachu kept a close watch over the water frog from Ash's shoulder while Bonnie and Clemont came from behind.

"You're too slow, brother!"

"Please, wait up." Clemont gasped for breath and staggered forward like someone about to collapse. As much as Ash wanted to do something for Clemont, he had to get Froakie help first. He fixed all his attention on the multi-story building ahead of them marked with two pokeballs near the doorway. A sign beside them read "Professor Sycamore's Pokemon Laboratory."

"This is it. Hello, professor! We need your help!" Ash banged on the door so hard he feared it might break apart. However, it only took moments for it to open.

"Bonjour." A spacy voice came from the other side and within moments, a tall man in his mid thirties emerged wearing a white lab coat. His thick messy-black hair and five-o-clock shadow matched his dazed voice and grey eyes well and he looked over the party with intrigue. "Can I help you-" Sycamore's focus sharpened the instant he saw Froakie in Ash's arms.

"Professor, this Froakie is hurt." Ash held him up and the professor carefully took the water pokemon.

"Oh Froakie, not again."

"Again?" Ash and the others blinked in confusion.

"Follow me." He gestured them inside and through a reception area into an elevator. None spoke during the ride up, but Ash saw Sycamore remove a potion from his lab coat and spray it over the worst of Froakie's injuries. To Ash's relief, the water frog breathed a little more but the concerned look on Sycamore's face told him the danger had not passed.

"Will he be ok?" Bonnie asked with teary eyes.

"I'll do everything I can for him." The door opened and Sycamore led them inside a lab area full of tables, computers, and bookshelves.

"Sophie, Froakie's don't it again." He ran over to a young woman who stood by a table. She wore a lab coat with glasses over her green eyes. However, Ash's eyes soon lingered on the Pokemon already on the table. A small yellow fox with red fur on her ears and the end of her tail looked enraptured as Sophie brushed her. However, the lab assistant yelped when she saw Froakie and almost threw the brush aside to take him.

"Froakie, why do you keep getting yourself into trouble like this." She groaned and took out medical supplies. Ash and Pikachu shared a horrible sense of helplessness as the moments dragged on like hours. How they longed to do something more, but alas, it was in Sycamore and Sophie's hands now.

"Fen." A sharp growl came from the little fox who turned her head away, annoyed that her grooming was interrupted.

"Aww, a Fennekin, so pretty." Bonnie beamed and approached the little fox who backed away.