Chapter 27: Serena Takes Flight

"Alright, one more time," Serena sighed.

The young woman ran a hand down her face as she, Fennekin, and Amaura stood on sweat drenched performance outfits. Both Pokémon grit their teeth but forced themselves up before they continued.

Serena led them through their newest routines, but again and again, they tripped on on the outfits no matter how much she modified them.

"Come on guys, we can do this!" Serena cried.

However, moments later, Fennekin stumbled over her tassels again and her fire spin hit Amaura's behind.

"Amaur!" Amaura cried and then growled at Fennekin.

"Woah! Easy you two, it was just an accident, please don't fight-"

Serena could not finish before her Pokemon blasted each other with fire and ice. She tried to break them up but in the chaos, took an ice beam and fire spin.

Amaura and Fennekin yelped upon seeing what they did. Serena trembled from the ice but had soot all over her hair and skin from the flames. Balling both fists, Serena exploded.

"I said enough!"

Fennekin and Amaura shrunk before Serena who stormed off and left them with immense guilt across their faces.

Unknown to Serena, Ash trained with his Pokémon nearby and saw the encounter. He signed with Pikachu.

"Graaa!" Tyrunt tries to run off after Serena but Ash grabbed his tail.

"No Tyrunt. She needs time to cool down," Ash said and fought the urge to go himself.

Instead, he went down to check on her team. Tyrunt raced to Amaura's side and nudged her while Lucario patted Fennekin's head.

"Serena's fine. She's just stressed is all," Ash assured them, but both Pokemon still whined a little.

After showering and changing in the town Pokemon center, Serena almost collapsed on a table outside. She stared at her cup of coffee but did not drink. The young performer ran through her routines continuously, trying to figure out where she went wrong, but it just made her head throb.

"Excusez-moi, mind if I sit with you? Everywhere else is taken," a vibrant voice spoke.

Serena looked up to see a young woman, perhaps twenty, standing over her. She tried to contain her thick red hair behind a white hat while a pair beaming red eyes stared at Serena through glasses.

Serena blinked at just how beautiful the young woman looked and could not help but think that something about her felt familiar.

"Ahh, no," Serena muttered and moved.

"Merci, I'm meeting my boyfriend here soon. It's been a while since we saw each other. Are you ok?" She asked after looking closer at Serena, who moaned.

"I'm just having a bad day is all. I yelled at my Pokémon this morning," Serena could not surprise the guilt swelling up inside her.

"Why did you yell at them?" She asked.

"I've just been frustrated lately is all,"

"Hey, wait a minute. You performed at Shalour City, didn't you?" She asked

Serena grit her teeth before groaning and nodding.

"Did you cut your hair?"

"Oui," Serena muttered.

"I thought it was a beautiful performance."

"Huh? But I messed up." Serena said, sitting up taller.

The young woman shrugged.