#16 - Swamp Race

It was a new Saturday morning although it had rained very hard last night, but it was yet another fantastic summer day in Gunge camp. The sun was shining, the birds were chirping, and Ben was sleeping peacefully in his white briefs. The time was about 7:30 in the morning when a group of boys carefully lifted him out of his bed, and carried him to a huge mud pit. As Ben was being carried, he started to get a bit awake, and slowly opened his eyes up. As he was opening his eyes, he got thrown into a huge mud pit with nothing but his underwear on. Ben screamed "Ahhhh!" very loudly before getting his whole body dunked in the knee-deep mud. The mud was thick and cold, so Ben shivered very hard while he was trying to process what had happened to him. He wiped the mud off his eyes, then opened them up. He saw 4 boys aged about 15 to 16 giggling at him. A boy then said "Hey, little dude! You should be ready for a ton of mud today because they're doing a swamp game today, and you may have to get in, 'cause you're the newbie, right?". Ben replied with a Yes, then the boys wished him good luck and wandered away. Ben stood up with confusion, and went to shower. He walked back into the shower room, only to find all of the boys in there staring at him like he was a weirdo. He hopped into a shower stall, and showered in his underwear. As the water hit him, a stream of brown gunk flowed out of his hair and briefs. After Ben had gotten a nice warm shower, he went to the cafeteria to have breakfast at about 7:50.

The breakfast consisted of some pancakes, sausages, and yogurt. It was delicious as always, so Ben ate the entire thing. After breakfast, Ben still didn't believe that there was going to be a swamp game that day, so he went to the swamp area that he saw yesterday to see if there was anything going on there. The first thing he saw when he arrived there was his brother talking to Mark, the host. Behind that was a lot of seniors working hard to ensure the game will be done by afternoon. Ben was really curious, so he went to talk to his brother.

Ben: Hey, what's going on back there?

Mark: We're setting up the swamp game for this afternoon.

Jarred: It's going to be really great!

Ben: Will I have to join the game?

Jarred: Yeah, it's a game for the newbies and the 14 year olds. Which team do you want to join? I could get you in right now.

Ben: I don't know, might just risk it with my chances.

Jarred: Remember Ethan that won the obstacle course game on Thursday?

Ben: Yeah, what's up about him?

Jarred: You might think that he's older because he did the obstacle very well, but he's just as old as you. He just used to do parkour, that's it.

Mark: You know, we only accept kids older than 13 here, and we got quite a ton each year for a small camp like this. You may think that you're the only newbie, but no, there're other newbies as well.

Ben: How many newbies did you get this year?

Mark: I don't know. About 28, I guess.

Ben: Cool! So, how many people are going to be in this game?

Mark: About 50. 28 13 year olds and 22 14 year olds.

Ben: Any advice on how to win the game?

Mark: Teamwork makes the dream work. That's all I can say, pal. Good luck.

Ben: Cool! Thanks.

After that, Ben went back to the garden beside the stream, and decided chilled there until noon. As he was swinging on the swing, he noticed 2 boys aged about 14 carrying another 14 years old boy which had only his white briefs on at the other side of the stream. They walked on the bridge, and got into position while their friend tried his hardest to escape. They then sent him diving head first into the stream. That day the stream was very muddy, and there was lots of foliages in there. The poor boy came up from the stream with layers of gunk covering his body, and the vines and leaves were tangled around him. Everybody laughed as he was standing there. The boy furiously got out of the muddy stream, and chased his friends to seek for revenge. At that point, Ben realized that it was very common to get messy pranks done on you, and you have to watch your back at all times. That was the second time he saw someone get thrown in the muddy stream, so he didn't want to get thrown in himself. Ben chilled there for a couple more hours, then went to have his lunch at noon.