Chaper 2 The Queen

"Deola...," I heard an unfamiliar voice say. I quickly jumped up like a startled gazelle seeing the naked queen before me as I stood on the far side of her bed. She chuckled at me, pointing at my hair as she shook her head in unbelief.

"It is morning child and Yohance and others will be here to dress us," she said gazing at me intently. I looked at the floor, Yohance's instructions playing in my head over and over.

"How is it sleeping so soundly?" she asked sitting up as she gazed off into the empty space of the air. I did not know if I were to answer her or simply listen.

"I haven't slept in such a long time. Deola, have you ever seen a vision?" she continued. I shook my head no.

"Deola when I speak to you within this room you may answer me with your voice and give your honest opinion," her voice said in a commanding tone as she scowled her face. Her brow wrinkled up as her mouth went in a corner.

"No my queen, I mean Tafari," I said. "I've never seen a vision, except in my dreams." She smiled as if my voice was soothing.

"I wouldn't wish my gift on another soul," she said as the handle to the door turned. Without thinking I kneeled back down on the golden silk covered pillow as Yohance came in. Three servant girls with bells on their ankles followed her with arms full of fabric as Yohance held the crown. I watched Yohance's eyes drift to my corner and back to the naked body of Tafari.

In French she spoke to the three girl as their eyes closed and they turned their backs in respect.

"Tafari, what am I going to do with you?" she said in hushed tones as she wrapped her breast in under garments, pulling it tight. Tafari was unreadable her face blank as Yohance stood her up dressing her in the lower garments. Yohance then spoke in French again the words flowing off her tongue like water over stones in river beds.

"Malaika and Sanyu come and dress the girl," Yohance projected as two females entered carrying more fabrics as I stood. I was stripped of my clothing down to my undergarments as the girl who I assumed was Sanyu stared into my eyes with the lightest brown eyes whispered in French a greeting as I nodded. She poured a scented oil in her hand as she rubbed it up and down my skin from head to toe. It was the smell of gardenias that I smelled the first day of being the queen's shadow. By the time the girl was done, my skin was shining. I watched as the other four women dressed Tafari in her royal wine colored garments.

I observed as her eyes never left Yohance as the short woman danced around her with an enthusiasm unexplained from how she was with me. Sanyu and Malaika in sync wrapped me in a similar color to the queens as they pulled and tugged to make it fit my frame. The garment covered the front and back of my legs but showed my skin from my hips to my feet on the sides of me. Yohance came and looked at me and showed a smile of approval as she undid her braid from yesterday styling my hair till it hung down my back. She placed head jewelry that felt cold upon my forehead.

She then used a wooden stick to apply a liquid paste that was dark as charcoal and lined my eyes and eyebrows. Yohance dismissed the rest of the servants as Tafari walked towards the door and sighed in frustration.

"It's okay be' be'," Yohance said with her French accent as she grabbed Tafari's hand squeezing it tightly. I looked at the ground feeling like an intruder on a special bond they both shared.

"Is this the girl you spoke of?" Yohance then said looking at me.

"Hold your tongue Yohance," Tafari said sharply. I saw Yohance jump at her abruptness as she bowed leaving the room.

"Deola stay in my shadow today. If any of my guest ask you to do something for them do not. I have enough servants to tend to them. Do you understand?" she asked adjusting her sparkling crown.