61. Tyler

Samantha seemed alright in the morning. I double-checked with her that she was feeling okay and she said she was.  I wasn't sure but she looked okay. I just worry more than maybe I should. Especially when she's had a low that we really don't have an explanation for. The best I could come up with was her emotions after we played basketball for a while.

I drove her to school and she was telling me that she was planning on going out with some friends on Saturday to celebrate Blaine's birthday and memory and asked if one of us could drive her once they'd decided where they all wanted to go. I agreed that one of us would be sure to be available.

After I dropped Sam off at school I went and ran a few errands before heading back home. Rosie and Junie were in the playroom while Jenna was making lunch for the two little girls.

We agreed after lunch we would take the two girls to the park. Junie could nap in the stroller and Rosie could play with some of her friends and burn off some if her infinite energy.  From there we could go meet Sam at school and walk home with her.

I checked in on Rosie who was teaching Junie her ABCs.

"How are my girls?" I asked peeking my head in.

Junie screeched and kicked in her bouncy chair when she saw me and reached for me. Rosie looked up and brushed some hair from her face.

"Daddy! We're learning!" Rosie said, exasperated, with her hands on her hips.

"I am so sorry, RosieRo. Mama's making lunch though. Aren't my two intellectuals hungry?" I asked.

"What's a innerekchooul?" Rosie asked.

"A smart person who likes to study and learn," I replied.

"Sammy?" Rosie asked. I chuckled. She was not entirely wrong, I suppose.

"Yeah, I guess so. Sammy is smart and she does like to learn," I said.

"And she always studyin'," Rosie said. "Sometimes she no fun."

Rosie frowned.  It was kind of cute to see.

"That's because Sammy is smart and Sammy wants to go to a good college."

"Why?" Rosie asked.

"Because Sammy can do whatever Sammy wants to do when she grows up," I replied. And I thought about that.

Samantha can do whatever she wants when she grows up. If things had played out differently, and Samantha hadn't wound up in our backyard, who knows where she'd be now. Well, I had a good idea where. And I stopped my train of thought before it got to that station.

"Why?" Rosie asked again.

"Why what?" I said, having lost the plot.

"Why Sammy can do what she wants?" Rosie asked.

"Well, not anything she wants. I mean she can be whatever she wants to be and do whatever she wants to do as a job."

"Oh. Why?" Rosie asked.

"Because Sammy is smart and Sammy works hard at school and because she works so hard, she can have any job she wants."

"Why?"

"Um... Because... there are all kinds of jobs that Sammy can do. If she wants."

"Why?" Rosie asked, giggling.

"Oh!" I said. "We're playing that game, are we?!" I exclaimed and picked my daughter up and raspberried her cheek.

"Daddy!"  She exclaimed, laughing.