Life Guard

"Dear tamara,

reasons 4-6

4. the dimples in your cheeks that curve when you smirk after you make a terrible pun.

5. your terrible puns you crack at the worst times. never take life seriously.

6. your vintage rock fashion sense. nobody can ride a flannel on their hips like you.                                         

                      ever admiringly,                                                                               

                                                      s.g"

Tamara read through the letter and set it on her desk.

This time the paper was peach and the envelope was magenta. the writing was still cursive and the i's were dotted with hearts.

Tamara was clueless and couldn't help but wind herself deeper into the spiderweb of questions.

She sat on the cliff with Tori, legs hanging off the silvery rock edge, small splashes of water landing on the patterned surface of her scuffed combat boots.

The basin of water forming at the base of the waterfall reflected a distorted copy of the round shimmering moon and all the stars in sight.

Tori was wearing floral jeans and a white tank top underneath a pale lemon yellow cardigan. She was tangling her fingers in Tamara's headphone cords, whistling to the tune of an old, dated song.

"So, should I change your nickname to Lover Boy now?" Teased Tori.

Tamara felt warmth prickle at her cheeks as she folded her arms and turned her back on the other.

"Why do you make fun of everything?"

"Cause i don't take life seriously. It's not like I'm gonna be here long, anyways."

Tamara sank back, slightly alarmed before pulling her legs up to her chest and staggering unsteadily to her feet. Tori mimicked the action and rose from her spot.

Once off the cliff Tamara leaned herself up against the rocks as Tori outstretched her arms, teetering along the edge of the waterfall pool.

Tamara scoffed, for having an such extensive knowledge of almost everything...Tori was still such a child. Her tongue was poking out of her mouth in concentration. She was now only a couple steps away from Tamara.

Tamara noted the look of concentration on her neighbor's face and couldn't stop herself. She made a small circle with her fingers and brought it to her lips. She pressed his tongue to the roof of her mouth and blew hard.

Tori snapped out her trance and lunged forward out of instinct. She grabbed the closest thing to herself, Tamara, and toppled into the freezing water body.

Water rushed past the two girls, letting them sink deeper into the pool of icy water. Tamara's survival instinct kicked in and she fought to get to the surface of the water. She struggled and kicked propelling herself up with her newfound strength, gasping for air, bubbles emerging from her throat.

She reached the surface with a burning throat, and a stone weight crushing her lungs. Her vision was blurred and her eyes were stinging excruciatingly. She was alone in the silent forest.

Alone.

Tori. Oh god. Did she just unwittingly kill her friend? Oh god. What what she say to the police once they found out? Oh god. Tori.

Tamara took a harsh breath before pushing her head back under the surface. Her hands frantically searched the rocky surface before brushing the grasp of knitted fabric.

She clutched it tightly and hoisted the weak body into her arms.

Tori was hauled onto the dry land. Her consciousness would come and go in waves unexpectedly. Tamara was hovering over her, shaking her harshly.

Tori reached her hand up and swatted away the other girl's hand. Tori spluttered and coughed before rolling onto her side to spill the water flooding her mouth. She heard Tamara say something but it was muffled by the sound of rushing water.

"Huh?" Tori rubbed her eyes

"You can't swim?!" Tamara screamed at her.

"Nope. Never learned."

"And why didn't you tell me? WHY ARE YOU HANGING AROUND A WATERFALL IF YOU DON'T KNOW HOW TO SWIM?!"

Tori winced and the chuckled wetly. "I never really thought I'd be lucky enough to swim with you."

Tori gave a miserable wink as Tamara registered the situation.

Tamara glanced at herself. Her black shirt was soaked through, hugging her chest and clinging to her shoulders. Her jeans were soggy uncomfortable whilst her combat boots sat heavily around her ankles.

Tori's long hair had fallen down in front of her eyes with the weight of the water, small droplets falling from the loose strands. Her white tank top became almost transparent, making it so you could see what she wore underneath. (Tamara tried not to look at Tori after she noticed that. She failed.)

She heaved a wheezy breath. Her shallow pants were so loud against the quiet of the forest. The panting soon faded into a fit of quiet laughter. Tori coughed, tears brimming her mismatched eyes.

"I nearly drowned."

"Yeah, I know."

"This is all your fault."

"How did you feel when you nearly died?"

"Alive." And uncharacteristically, Tori added, "You're literally such a pain. I don't know why I keep hanging around you."

"Ah."

The two teens continued their shaky giggling.

"You could've been a murderer, Tamara."

"Nah. How about a lifeguard?"

"Sure. guard my life for me Tamara. You're already doing such a great job."

"Okay," Tamara sighed.  "I'll guard your life."

"Thanks. We've had quite the adventure tonight."

"We should make a bucket list."

"Uh huh. Sure Kitty-boy, whatever you want."

"No, let's do it."

"We can write it back home. A bunch of things to do before the end."

"Let's make a bucket list then."

//

Tamara reluctantly hoisted Tori up onto her back. The idiot snuggled closer to her, sighing contentedly between her shoulder blades. Tamara had tried to wake her up, but Tori wasn't having it.

"C'mon, get up."

"I'm tired."

"Uh, yeah. You can sleep when you get home. You're going to catch a cold."

"Let me sleep, Tamara."

Tamara sighed. It is her fault that they were in this situation in the first place, she guesses.

"Fine. Come here."

Tamara looked at the girl resting on her back. Tori's back slowly rising and falling.

Slowly but surely falling asleep.