14. Fever

"Hm, to tum sach m apna dinner beech m chodke aaye ho!" Preeta said and Karan knows, it's no more a question or a doubt, it's a complete statement of affirmation.

"Kya m puch skti hu kyu?"

"Nahi!" Karan growls.

Preeta widened her eyes and asks,

"Tum apna dinner beech m chodke aaye ho sirf mujhe dekhne? Bullshit. Batao kya kaam h mujhse?" Preeta demands.

Something inside karan twists painfully, cracking a little listening her statement.

Preeta realises it too, because that look on his face, that defeated look, that vulnerable look screamed it at her. She felt guilty for saying it immediately.

But karan nods in no and got up and started walking away.

"Karan ruko!" Preeta says, with all the strength she had. Her voice sounded faint but made Karan stopped in his tracks.

He stopped, but didn't turned, nor faced her. Just stopped.

"Kya tumhe bura laga?" Preeta asks innocently.

This time, Karan turns towards her and throws a glare at her way.

"Nhi! Bahut acha laga. You have great thoughts about me!" He snaps.

Preeta hides herself more in the blanket such that only her eyes were visible.

Karan walks back towards the bed and narrows his eyes at her.

"Kya m tumhe itna bedil lagta hu!?" Karan asks.

It was more than a question on Karan's part. He had asked it to noone in his life. Because he never really cared how other's feel about him. Noone's opinion mattered. He didn't knew why he is asking, but his heart wanted to.

Preeta uncovers the blanket from her face and looks innocently into Karan's eyes.

They looked so hurt to her and she realises, that she is the reason behind it, it hurts her as well.

"Bolo preeta, kya m tumhe sach m itna bedil lagta hu, ki tumhare paas kabhi Bina kaam pade Naa aau?" Karan repeats his question again.

Preeta blinks and truthfully, she nods.

The Little hope inside karan leaves Fully and he frowns.

"Nhi matlab, nhi, actually Haan!" Preeta says nervously.

"Kyu? Aisa kya krta hu m?!"

"I don't know!"

"To phir tumhe Aisa kyu lagta h?"

"Shayad kyuki humara rishta hi Aisa h. Ki Bina kaam pade hum ek doosre ki shakal bhi Naa dekhein!" Preeta shrugs saying so.

"Kya tum nhi aaogi mere paas agar meri tabiyat kharab hogi to? Kya tum nhi aaogi mere paas agar tum ek din mujhe dinner ke time na dekho aur tumhe pta chale meri tabiyat sahi nhi h?" Karan asks softly.

Preeta thinks for a while, she thinks deeply and then answers.

"M aaugi!"

Karan smiles a little and asks,

"Kyu?"

"Courtesy!" Preeta replies.

"Same preeta same!" Karan says, sitting on the bed by her side, facing her.

"Par m apna dinner beech m chodke nhi aati!" Preeta says, her eyes narrowed at Karan.

Karan chuckles and asks,