Chapter 27

(Song: Afterglow – Taylor Swift)

Enjoy <3

————

Mouse in a trap.

We cuddled in silence. My eyes kept roaming around taking in the beautiful scenery in front of us. But then we heard footsteps and people talking. My eyes snapped towards Niall panicking. We were still naked.

"What do we do now?" I asked.
"Gather your clothes." He said already picking up his clothes.

I quickly grabbed my clothes and faced Niall for directions. He grabbed my hand and we started running. I don't know where but I ran with him.

One thing I was certain about was that Niall would never let anyone see me naked except for himself. He would absolutely kill whoever even thinks or imagines me without clothes. So in that moment, I trusted Niall and followed him.

I don't know what room it was but it was dark and empty. And it had a lock. We put on our clothes.

Silence.

"We are safe now. They already know that we're here since I rented the whole place." Niall said.
He held the doorknob to open the door that I held his arm.
"Thank you. For today." I said smiling softly.

He stared at me. He didn't smile. He didn't hold my hand. He didn't kiss me. He just gave me a nod and opened the door. Niall thanked the staff and we walked out as if nothing ever happened.

It's been couple of days since. We didn't talk much after that since Niall was busy with his meetings and I was busy with my job. Which I was failing miserably. I had to save Hazel and Nova. And I did not have the heart to arrest Niall. It was impossible. I sighed resting my head on the bed's headboard.

Someone knocked. I faced the door assuming it was either Niall or Tom.

"May I?" Nova asked.
"Nova? Of course come in." I smiled feeling surprised about the fact that she was in my room.
She smiled and entered my room.
"I ... the other day when we talked in the library ... it felt good. I had someone who genuinely listened and after that day I feel lighter." She said.

I held her hand and smiled.
"I'm always here for you." Technically not a lie since I'm going to save her. But I still didn't know how.

"How do you think he is? Do you think a good family have raised him?"
"I ... I think so yeah." I said.
"I just ... I think I saw him the other day. He has grown obviously. But a mother always can tell who her child is, right? Even if she hasn't seen him for twenty six years." She said shocking me.

"Where did you see him?"
"I'm not sure if it was him, but I had a feeling it was him."
"Where though?"
"In the-"
"Da- Riley?" Niall came in. He almost said my real name. Thankfully he noticed Nova before saying it.

"Oh I'll leave you two lovebirds alone." Nova smiled standing up.
"Oh no. It's fine. I'll come back later." Niall said.
"Don't be silly. I have to go dress shopping anyways." Nova said and left the room.
Niall closed the door.

He didn't walk closer like he always did. He didn't smile. He didn't smirk. Something was wrong.

"Niall, is everything okay?" I asked.
"Yeah." He said.
"No. You're lying. What's wrong?"
"Nothing."
"Niall."
"The problem is" he said but cut himself off.

I slid off the bed and walked toward him. I raised my hand to hold his face but he turned his face the other way.

"Niall." I said brokenly.
"We took it too far." He whispered not making eye contact.
"What?"
"Daphne." He faced me with red eyes.