Ch. 1 Dodging Questions

Laughter could be heard from all across Mondstand. Why? Aether was playing with the kids.

What made this so fun? He was making them fly.

Don't worry. It wasn't dangerous. Well, maybe a little bit, but the parents trusted him.

How was he doing it? Aether was summoning small tornadoes, lifting them into the air.

He wasn't doing it in the city, but just outside. The parents were watching, and they were just talking.

After a few hours, one of the mothers walked over to Aether just as he set a kid down. "You must be tired. Would you like some water?"

He nodded and whipped the sweat from his forehead. "Yeah. Thank you." He took the cup and downed it.

The mother smiled. "Of course. You're giving our kids such a great time! It's the least I could do."

A father came up with an apple. "You should eat something. Here."

Aether took the apple. "Yeah."

The father turned. "Let's give the Honorary Knight a break, kids."

"Aww!"

"Now, now. You would want a break too, right?"

The kids nodded. They moved into small groups to place.

Aether sighed. "Again, thank you."

The father chuckled. "Don't worry about it. You're doing so much. I want to do what I can to pay you back."

"How do you control the elements so easily?" The mother asked. "It must take a lot of training."

He shrugged. "Yeah. I can handle it, though."

《•~~~•》

As he walked through Liyue, he saw a father knelting next to his kid. He could see the kid had a scrapped knee.

Aether walked over. "Is he okay?"

The father looked up. "Oh! Hello, Hero of Liyue. He's okay. It's just a small scrap."

Aether knelt down. "That good. I'd hate for him to be hurt."

The boy smiled. "Don't worry, mister! I'm tough!"

The traveler smiled. "Say, what's behind your ear, kiddo?"

The boy felt his ears. "Huh? I don't feel anything."

Aether chuckled. "Here. Let me get it for you." He reached over, and in his hand was a piece of candy. "Ah! That what was there!"

The kid clapped. "Wow! Can I have it?"

"Of course!" Aether handed him the candy. He stood up and nodded to the father. "Have a good day."

"You too, good sir!"

《•~~~•》

Aether looked through the commissions. 'Looks like the Abyss Order is causing problems again.' "I can knock these out in a few hours."

"Thank you, traveler." Katherine put her hand to her chest. "But, are you sure? This is a large group. Do you want any back up."

"Don't worry, Katherine. I'll be fine." He walked away.

When he got to the location, he found a few Abyss Mages, a dozen or so Hilichurls, and a few slimes. 'This shouldn't be too hard.' He summoned his blade. 'Wind Vortex will take care of the Hilichurls, and I can speed blitz the mages. I might be able to get them in the Vortex, too.'