Ch. 1

Neuvillette walked through the passages of the hidden base. He was the only one who was able to get through all the traps. None of the guards were able to. Not even Clorinde.

The walls were lined with statues, and he was sure they were going to come to life and attack him. So, he was on high alert.

He should have known something would happen. It didn't help that something had happened at the Fortress of Meropide. Tartaglia had somehow managed to escape.

It was obvious something was happening with him, but Neuvillette didn't know what. Three days before the incident, he stopped eating, drinking, or even moving.

Then, on the third day, there was an explosion, and Tartaglia used some kind of power. He seemed to have lost his mind. He just attacked everyone and everything.

When it seemed like he was going to destory the Fortress of Meropide, someone in a wolf mask and black cloak appeared. They used chains that were pure black and pulled him away. They vanished in a portal.

Because of this, Neuvillette was heavily involved in the investigation. After a week, they were finally able to figure out where they went.

Now, Neuvillette was walking alone.

After half an hour of walking, the Chief Justice glanced around a corner. His eyes widened.

There was Tartaglia asleep on a bed. He was on his side, his back facing Neuvillette. There was a table next to him with a cup, some paper, and a cloth.

The man moved into the room but stopped when he noticed the seal surrounding the fatui harbinger. It glowed a rich blue. The color of Hydro.

Neuvillette picked up a rock and tossed it into the seal.

Water erupted around the seal and slices the rock. In seconds, the rock became dust.

'Okay. I'm not stepping in that.' He thought.

Suddenly, he heard footsteps. They were coming for deeper in the hideout. He quickly rushed around the corner and waited to see who it was.

This was an even greater surpise. It was Aether, but more than that, he looked exhausted. There were deep bags under his eyes, his brain was messy, and there was a dullness in his eyes. He was carrying a bottle in his arms.

Aether walked into the seal, but he wasn't attacked. That was a key indicator that he put the seal there.

'I didn't know he could use seals.' Neuvillette continued to watch.

Aether sat the bottle on the table. "Childe, wake up." He gently shook him.

There was a soft groan, and the fatui harbinger sat up. This gave the Chief Justice a look at his face.

There were Abyssal markings winding up his neck. His eyes were a deep purple and tired.

Tartaglia pressed a hand to his forehead. "Ow."

"I know." The sympathy in Aether's voice was clearer than glass. "Here." He grabbed the bottle and poured a dark red substance in the cup.

He handed it to the man, who downed it.

A second later, he dropped the cup and started coughing. As Neuvillette watched, his eyes flashed from purple to their original blue, back to purple, then back to blue. The Abyssal marking burned away.

As he coughed, blood splattered on his gloved hand, which was covering his mouth.

Aether grabbed the cup, set it on the table, and grabbed the cloth. He wiped the blood from Tartaglia's mouth and hand. "We're running out of time, Childe. This isn't a permanent solution. You need to figure out how to control it. Based on how fast it's moving now, you have a month before it takes complete control. That's the best case scenario. You know what I'll do if you can't."