Chapter 13

I let out a sigh as I followed Jim and Spock to the transporter.

"Why am I being forced to come with you again?" I asked with a frown.

"Because I'm ordering you too." Jim said as I took my spot on the transporter.

"I'm not a diplomat. I don't do well with people." I said as I shook my head.

"Then it's time for you to learn, little sister." Jim said as he sent me a smile.

It didn't take us long to beam down right in front of a vaguely castle-styled wall which was completely smooth. I looked around and found that the locals were dressed in rural mediaeval-style clothing, and they took almost no notice of us at all.

"You'd think they had people beaming down every day." Jim said with a frown.

"Yes. Curious lack of interest. Notice the ruins in the distance, Captain. Quite large."

"Yes. A fortress, perhaps. A castle." I said as I looked around.

"Whatever it is, it would seem to be inconsistent with the reports we've been given on this culture." Spock said as he continued to look around.

I heard footsteps and turned to see a man in a loose purple robe walk up to us with his arms opened up wide.

"Welcome." He said with a bow of his head.

"Reception committee?" I asked quietly.

"It would seem so."

"You are our visitors. Welcome, welcome. I am Ayelborne." The man said with a small smile.

"I am Captain James T. Kirk of the starship Enterprise, representing the United Federation of Planets. This is my first officer Mister Spock and this is my Chief of Security Theodosia Kirk." Kirk said introducing both me and Spock.

"You are most welcome, my friend." Ayelborne said cheerfully.

Something about him rubbed me the wrong way and made me sick to my stomach.

"I would like to speak to someone in authority." Jim said with a frown.

"We don't have anybody in authority, but I am the chairman of the Council of Elders. Perhaps I would do." Ayelborne said with a small frown.

"You people are in great danger. Is there someplace we can go and talk?" Jim asked as he took a step forward.

"Oh, yes. Our council chambers are nearby. Please." He said as he motioned for us to follow him.

"Captain, if you don't mind, I should like to wander about the village and make some studies." Spock said calmly.

"Of course, my friend. Our village is yours. Captain, this way."

"I'm going to look around as well. I'll let you know if I find anything, Jim." I said with a frown.

"Fine, but stay where Spock can see you." Jim ordered with a frown.

"Yes, father." I mumbled under my breath.

Jim shot me a glare before he turned and walked away from me, leaving me with Spock. I shook my head and followed close behind Spock.

"Spock, I know that now isn't really a good time but we never talked about what happen to us on Omicron-"

"You have nothing to apologize for, Lieutenant. You did what was necessary to snap me out of my... illusion."