Chapter 3: Orders are Orders

The day following their unexpected encounter, Elena found herself immersed in the paperwork at the station, delving into the statements and evidence surrounding the Jake incident. She was so engrossed in her work that the sudden appearance of Captain Martinez, carrying a hefty file and a smug grin, took her by surprise.

He placed the file on her cluttered desk. "Got something that might pique your interest."

She shot him a questioning look. "And that is?"

"Alpha of that pack you encountered? He's insisting his beta be part of this investigation."

Elena's heart skipped a beat, a feeling of dread washing over her. "And you're telling me..."

Martinez's grin broadened. "Congratulations. You're partnering up with the shifter. Consider it a... cultural exchange program."

She barely had time to absorb this news when the door swung open, revealing Eric, who looked equally surprised.

"This must be a joke," Elena muttered, rubbing her temples.

Eric's laugh, genuine and warm, reverberated in the room. "Believe me, I didn't sign up for this. But orders are orders."

Over the following days, their interactions ranged from tense silence to heated discussions. Elena caught Eric examining human procedures with thinly veiled skepticism, and he, in turn, found her glaring whenever he mentioned pack customs.