Chapter 1: Bound by Laws

The acrid scent of gunpowder still clung to the air, mingling with the raw, metallic aroma of freshly spilled blood. Eric's heart thudded loudly in his chest, the adrenaline from the recent fight slowly ebbing. As the beta of the pack, he was entrusted with the safety of their territory. The audacity of this human hunter trespassing on sacred grounds was a violation that boiled his blood. His wolf instincts had surged to the forefront during the fight. With claws and fangs bared, he pinned the hunter down, ensuring he was incapacitated but alive. With a deep, ragged breath, he dialed the human police, knowing the legislation all too well. Dealing with their kind always brought its own set of complications, but laws were laws, and he would uphold them – no matter how much his inner wolf protested.

Blue and red lights splashed across the darkened woods, signaling the arrival of the human authorities. Frustration evident, Eric rolled his shoulders back, preparing himself to deal with the humans he so strongly disliked. Everything about them, from their scent to their inherent weakness, annoyed him. The fact that he had to call them instead of exacting retribution the way a wolf would just added fuel to the already raging fire inside him.