Chapter 17: Revelations in Moonlight

Elena was restless, her thoughts a chaotic swirl as she paced her room. The pendant, a symbol of trust, felt heavy around her neck, its significance not lost on her. But there was something else, an undercurrent of emotions she couldn't quite place.

The door creaked open, revealing Eric, his expression intense. Without a word, he stepped in, closing the door behind him.
"You've been avoiding me," he said, his voice soft yet firm.

Elena paused, looking up at him. "Have I?"

He stepped closer, his gaze piercing hers. "Elena, there's something I should've told you a long time ago."

She frowned, the weight of anticipation settling in. "What is it?"

Taking a deep breath, Eric began, "In our world, when two souls are destined to be together, they're called mates. It's a bond deeper than any other, intertwined fates that nothing can break."

Elena's heart raced. "Why are you telling me this now?"

Eric hesitated, then with a sigh, confessed, "Because you are my mate, Elena. From the moment we met, I felt the pull, the connection. But I kept it from you, thinking it was best to let you adjust to our world on your own terms."

Elena was stunned. Pieces of the puzzle began falling into place – the protectiveness, the intense connection, the unspoken
understanding between them. "Why didn't you tell me earlier?"

"I didn't want to overwhelm you," he admitted, regret evident in his voice. "But I realize now that it was a mistake."

She took a moment, processing the revelation. "How do I know this isn't some kind of manipulation? A way to control me?"

Eric shook his head, his eyes filled with sincerity. "It's not like that. The mate bond is about mutual respect and understanding. It can't be forced. I would never do that to you."

Elena's emotions were a whirlwind. Anger, confusion, but also a realization that deep down, she felt something too. "I need time, Eric. Time to understand all of this."

He nodded, his expression filled with understanding. "Take all the time you need. Just know that my intentions have always been genuine."

With that, he left her room, leaving Elena to grapple with a truth that had the power to change everything.