Chapter 16:Eric

The forest was a sanctuary for Eric. It had always been a place where he could find solace, away from the prying eyes and whispered conversations. As he prowled through the underbrush, the sounds of nocturnal creatures and the rustling of leaves underfoot grounded him, keeping the chaos at bay.

His thoughts continuously drifted towards Elena. The depth of his feelings for her often took him by surprise, especially given the short time they had truly known each other. Every gesture, every shared glance, every word exchanged between them held a world of meaning.

He could vividly recall the expression on Elena's face when she'd faced adversity, how she had persevered and grown stronger with each challenge. It invoked a fierce pride in him. The way she had adapted and found her place among the shifters, against all odds, was nothing short of remarkable.

Eric halted, his keen senses picking up on a nearby presence. He turned to see Thunder approaching, a knowing look in his eyes.

"Brooding over Elena again?" Thunder teased, though his voice held an underlying seriousness.

Eric smirked, "Can't help it. She's unlike anyone I've ever met."

Thunder leaned against a nearby tree, his gaze steady. "You know, the longer you wait, the harder it's going to be. Secrets have a way of coming out, often when we least expect them."

Eric sighed, running a hand through his hair. "I know, Thunder. It's just... I want to protect her, shield her from any more pain."

His friend chuckled, "And how's that working out for you? From where I'm standing, looks like you're causing her more confusion than protection."

Eric's shoulders slumped. He knew Thunder was right. The bond between mates was powerful, an unbreakable connection that was as old as time itself. Denying it, or even delaying its acknowledgment, was not only unfair to Elena but also to himself.

"She deserves someone better," Eric murmured, his voice laced with self-doubt.

Thunder snorted, "You're one of the most honorable wolves I know. Stop feeling sorry for yourself and do right by her. She deserves the truth, and you owe it to her."

Eric met Thunder's gaze, a fire igniting in his eyes. "You're right. It's time."

Thunder clapped him on the back, "Just remember, love isn't about perfection. It's about finding someone who complements you, challenges you, and stands by you through thick and thin. From what I've seen, Elena is more than capable of that."

With renewed determination, Eric set out, ready to face the future and whatever it held for him and Elena.