Chapter 18: Seeking Solace

Elena's days were filled with training sessions, strategy meetings, and coordinating with various pack members. But the weight of the revelation about her and Eric kept her up at nights, the confusion of it all building up within her. She needed answers.

One evening, she found herself outside Lauren's home. They had grown closer over the past weeks, and Elena found comfort in their budding friendship.

Lauren opened the door, her expression softening when she saw Elena's troubled face. "Elena? Come in."

After a few moments of comfortable silence in Lauren's cozy living room, Elena finally spoke, "Why didn't anyone tell me about Eric and me being mates?"

Lauren sighed, taking a moment to choose her words carefully. "It wasn't my place, Elena. Mate bonds are deeply personal. Eric had his reasons. Maybe he wanted you to feel the bond organically, without the weight of expectation."

Elena frowned, "But wouldn't it have been fairer to me to know?"

Lauren nodded, "You're right. But think of it this way. Our world, with its intricacies of bonds and mates, is still new to you. Eric probably thought it would be too overwhelming."

Elena took a deep breath, "And you? Why didn't you tell me when I asked about him?"

Lauren hesitated, her eyes searching Elena's. "I respect the sanctity of the mate bond. It was Eric's and your journey to discover. I couldn't interfere."

The air between them was thick with unsaid words. Elena finally spoke, her voice soft, "It's just... I feel betrayed. Not by you, but by him."

Lauren reached out, placing a comforting hand on Elena's arm. "I've Give him a chance to explain. He's probably as torn up about this as you are."

Elena nodded, a mixture of sadness and understanding in her eyes. "I will. Thank you, Lauren."

The two women sat, finding comfort in each other's company. The night deepened, and their bond of friendship strengthened, offering Elena a beacon of hope amidst the storm of emotions.