Pain

I can't sleep thinking about the events that unfolded. Aria is an elemental? And no one told me? What else about her training am I being misled on? At the crack of dawn I quickly jump out of bed. I dress in a simple pants and over shirt before stomping my way towards my parents. Jarolt following close behind all the while. At the end of the bedding wing I stop before my parents' bedroom. I bang loudly on the door. "Father! We need to speak at once!" I yell through the door. I few moments past before I simply push through into my parents' living quarters.
I meet my Father quickly dressed in something similar to myself which is very rare of him. He looks as if he did not sleep either. Sitting on his couch looking through papers that cover the coffee table. Father doesn't even acknowledge my entry as he whispers to his personal bodyguard and advisor. "Father we need to speak," I interject into their conversation. My Father finally sees my existence. He quickly finishes whispers.
"Tell everyone to be on high alert, and put those safety precautions in at once." My Father calls out to his bodyguard as the man dips through a servant's door. "Unfortunately now is not a good time my son." He continues to look through papers.
"How could you not tell me?"
"About what?"
"About Aria! She's an elemental?!"
My Father finally stops looking through papers. He pushes his glasses on top of his head. "How do you know this?" He questions me.
"That doesn't answer my question." I sternly reply, "this entire time you've lied to me! Your son!"
My Father rubs his temples, "we didn't lie to you at first."
"What do you mean?"
"At first when her training began she simply was a human. Over time her sessions with Madam Wren became more successful, and eventually we are where we are today." Father returns to his papers.
"And where are we today?"
"With an unknown situation..." my Father trails off in thought. "Whatever feelings you have about the situation, she needs time to heal." I turn on my heel to exit. "Where are you going?" My Father calls behind me.
"To train," I make my way quickly through the halls. Avoiding the watchful eyes of the guards. Jarolt quickly walks up next to me.
"Now my highness, I would never question your train of thought," Jarolt begins. "But we aren't really going to train are we?"
"Of course not," I whisper back. Jarolt smirks to me. We make our way through the training facility to my personal combative office. Gelvain and I go over battle strategies in here. It's quiet, off to the side, and covered. Jarolt quickly locks the door behind us. Not soon after we hear a knock at the door. What is it now? Jarolt opens the door to reveal Gelvain. "What are you doing here?"
"Your Father sent me to keep an eye on you," she answers honestly.
"Fuck," Jarolt speaks my thoughts exactly.
"What's going on? Everyone is on high alert this morning."
"I don't know," I answer her. "But I'm going to find out." I walk over to reveal a trap door.
"We will stay behind to make it sound like you are training," Jarolt assures me.
"We will?" Gelvain questions him.
"He's going to find Aria," Jarolt eyes her.
"Oh yes," Gelvain gets a worried expression, "we will." I quickly take my leave. Weaving through the extra security through the castle's training grounds. The capital city seems awfully quiet today as I sneak my way through it. As I approach Aria's front door I'm greeted by a guard.
        "I'm sorry your highness," the female guard speaks to me while blocking my path. "I've been ordered to not let anyone through."
        "Is that my son?" I hear my Mother's voice from inside.
        "Yes, your majesty," the guard answers.
        "Let him through."
        "Yes my Queen." The guard holds the front door open for me. My foot breaks the threshold and I hear a bloodcurdling scream. I just back away from the sound, but it goes away. I cautiously take a step again and hear the sound in the doorway.
"Come my dear," my Mother calls to me from the living room. "It's a sound barrier." I enter to hear the house full of screaming. My Mother stands waiting for me in the living room. Oddly she is in her silk nightgown and robes, with her hair in a silk bonnet. Almost as if she's been here all night. "I knew you'd come," she gives me a tired smile through the screams that echo the house. "Follow me," I do as she says as she leads me towards Aria's bedroom, and the screaming. Mother opens the door for me to reveal a battle scene.
The white bed and floor covered in red. Madam Wren, who is also in a light gray nightgown with her hair tied back, is running around the bed with two servants. The girls have white aprons and gloves that are now stained red. Madam Wren looks a mess. Ordering the girls about herbs and potions all the while her arms are covered in blood. The room is covered in ancient textbooks, herbs, mixing equipment, and medical tools. Almost a travel version of Madam Wren's laboratory, except very bloody.
The white bed spread houses the most horrific images of all. Covered only in a white bloody sheet lays Aria on her stomach. Her pale skin and dark blonde hair caked in blood. Her fists are clutching the bed with white knuckles. Her body writhing in pain she cries out. From her back emerges bare bone. Four straight 8 inch bones pierce from her shoulder blades. Unable to look away I slowly walk through the chaos to Aria's bedside. I kneel down to take in her body.
Aria turns away from Madam Wren on the opposite side, and now faces me. Blood spread across her forehead and chin, and tears streaming down. Her lips trembling in pain as she whimpers. I scan the bloody bed in a loss of words. As I look for any words to say, Aria throws her head back and cries out in immense pain. The whole room quietly watches as the 8 inches grows to ten. Aria cries and screams, and finally passes out from the pain. The whole room stares at her now limp body.
"Quickly clean!" Madam Wren orders. The two servants wet rags and begin wiping blood from Aria's body. "Before she wakes up!" Madam Wren quickly begins to spread a salve onto Aria's back.
"Is that helping?" My Mother asks from the doorway.
"I'm trying anything at this point," she frantically answers.