Chapter 58

My body won't move like it was trapped in a box. I couldn't see a way out. All my senses felt so dull and numb that I could see nothing but shadows creeping and enveloping me in their cold and dark embrace. I could feel myself slipping into a bottomless pit of nothingness.

Why do I feel so afraid, confused, and even hurt?

How long has it been since I felt so many emotions at once?

At first, there was only the sound of silence. But then, in the distance, my ears twitched at the faint sound of chains, almost imperceptible in this cold box. There was something about those chains, their rhythmic and steady rhythm, that was almost calming to my soul. 

The sound of those heavy metals grew louder and louder until it became the only sound in the darkness. There was nothing else to hear, nothing else to focus on, just the sound of chains winding and winding as if searching for a way out just like me.

Just then, everything clicked in. 

"Ah...I've been trapped...haven't I?"

..........

Asuna's POV

"You need to practice your stealth skills, it's like watching drunken hippos trying to sneak."

I mumbled as I tried to maintain a sense of control. Maybe, my attitude was my way of hiding the fear I felt. And I'm not dumb enough to give it away. 

Their faces showed nothing but hatred and disdain. I clenched my fists as I stepped forward and my eyebrows raised as they all tensed, their hands moving to the handles of their weapons. 

"You bitch. You sure made yourself too damn infamous," I grumbled.

Anyway, what do I do?

Shit. I don't even know what the hell I'm doing. How do I use chatora again? 

I narrowed my eyes. Why the hell are they not making a move yet? Are they afraid or being too cautious, perhaps?

It was almost comical, the way they were acting like prey in the presence of a predator. 

I stood in the center of the circle of ninjas, trying my best to feign confidence and determination as I acted like I knew what I was doing. But, in reality, I was just as scared and confused as they were. I honestly have no idea what I'm doing and I could only hope that it isn't that obvious. 

This feels so awkward and I think I'm getting out of place, like I'm being forced into a role I never asked for.

"Just fucking come back already."

The stress of the situation was getting into me and I wanted nothing but, to run away. I don't know if I can run as fast as Lhexi can but, my desperation to escape caused my legs to move. 

I smiled while I inhaled a breath of fresh air instead of feeling my lungs burning. Lhexi really toned my body up.

"After her!"

Someone yelled behind me.

I didn't have any specific plan in mind, I just wanted to get far, far away from them. 

I heard a kunai whizzing past me, inches away from my cheeks. My eyes widened as my own hand caught that kunai with ease.

I didn't know how or why, but my body was moving by itself. It was as if I had lost control and my body had a mind of its own. My enemies attacked me, their weapons in their hands. But, my body reacted in a way that I couldn't understand, parrying their attacks easily. Yet, my mind was still in a haze and I didn't know what was happening.