Chapter Three

She woke with a smile of relief on her face, with the sun shining through her window. The excitement of a new life struck her as she got out of bed. After a quick trip to the bathroom and brushing her long wavy hair, she walked to the closet. Anxiety rose as she looked for a uniform small enough to fit her frail frame. Finding the smallest size, she was ashamed seeing how large it still was on her.

"Maybe I should bulk up.." She bit her lip looking between herself and the size of the blazer 'small huh?' She thought to herself before sighing.

She walked out of her room into the kitchen and looked at Jarrod sitting on the couch. Hearing her footsteps, he turned to look at her. Amazement struck his own thoughts before he spoke out. "Sunshine, I think you should go put on a smaller uniform." He chuckled.

"This was the smallest one in the closet I could find.." She stuck her hands in the pockets of the oversized blazer and crossed her legs.

"Oh, uh small is the smallest that the school can provide..." He scratched the back of his head while he thought, "I can get some uniforms altered while you're in school, least till you can get some meat on your bones." He tried to lighten the mood.

"Thank you." She bit her tongue.

After a small breakfast Jarrod led Renae to her first class. They walked up to his office seeing the classrooms within an eye shot of his office doors. Once they entered the first class she would be attending, he stayed at the front speaking with her new teacher. She took a seat in the middle of the room as other students began piling in filling up the rest of the empty seats before the bell rang. Waiting for the conversation in the front to end, the students whispered and passed around papers, Renae sat completely still before a balled up paper landed at her feet.

Jarrod glanced at Renae before he walked towards the door and waving to the class. "Okay class, we have a new student. Renae, you can call me Mr. K."

Her heart pounded and she felt all eyes land on her. She nodded her head in response as Mr. K turned around grabbing some chalk. "Okay Renae, you already know this is algebra two and you might be a little behind, that's alright, just raise your hand and let me know if you don't get anything. Just pay attention and ask questions." He turned around after writing on the board.

She just sat there as she instinctively zoned out, she hadn't even noticed the paper that had been placed on her desk. Before she could notice anything, class was almost over with. She leaned forward seeing all the questions thinking how easy they seemed.

Just as Renae finished her paper she sat back and looked at the clock, class would be over soon. "Now, I hope everyone can get this turned in before class tomorrow. You're allowed to leave."

Renae ignored her thoughts as the bell rang, she got up and walked towards Mr. Ks desk and placed the paper in front of him. He looked at her in confusion and at the paper.

"Is there a problem sir?" She asked knowing there was nothing wrong with her paper.

"No, it's just... when I say turn in your papers by tomorrow, that's usually two days later. Never a day early. Thank you, Miss Riley. I'm going to enjoy you being in my class." He smiled as Renae nodded and headed towards her next class. She saw art written across the board as she sat down.

-

As the school day came to and end, Renaes excitement had fizzled into lethargy. The bell continued to ring in the background for an additional minute longer then what she had heard earlier. Renae walked along the side of the building to go home, listening to the ringing bell and sound of footsteps with satisfaction knowing she finished her first day of school with success. All until a hand met her shoulder.